We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

Hi my name is Phil and I am coming to work in TA soon. I am from the UK. I have spent a few years in Montreal and have developed a particular taste for the Hebrewatic smoked meat (brisket) deli sandwiches.

Is it possible to find such a deli in Tel Aviv?

Cheers

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 41
1. Re: smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

This is an American-Jewish deli, not Israeli. Our cuisine is more Med-diet. But very good and you will like our food.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
2. Re: smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

There used to be a place called "Smoky's" in the Azrieli Center Mall foodcourt that had fairly dececnt corned beef. No rye bread, though...

I don't know if there's still around.

I have to ask: "Hebrewatic"??

Arizona
reviews: 18
3. Re: smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

I'm surprised with all the American olim in Israel if there isn't something like a NY-style Deli around somewhere, although maybe not in T.A. I had a lunch at a bagel place in G'lilot at the shopping mall -- and bagels are not Israeli. I believe that place had various deli-style sliced meats, too; not sure about rye bread. But with so many Russians, there must be rye bread somewhere, too! Phil may have to get the ingredients and make the sandwich at home.

But it is true -- that Israeli food is simply wonderful in it's own right, and there are enough varieties to keep pretty much anyone happy.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
4. Re: smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

There is rye bread in Israel, but somehow it doesn't taste the same...

Rye bread is called "Lechem Shifon" (sounds like "chiffon" to me, which I always found confusing, since I associate chiffon with the light, airy fabric, whereas rye bread should be dense and chewy...)

I think there's also a deli where you can get corned beef in the Ramat Aviv Mall (forgot the name of the place).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
5. Re: smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

Aha! I remembered the place I was thinking of:

Delicativ in the Ayalon Mall in Ramat Gan.

Here's a review and a 10% discount coupon:

www.eluna.com/rest/Delicative.asp?mumu=223

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
6. Re: smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

Rye bread is "lechem shipon", shipon is rye. What we have is different from the one sold in the US. Beef in general is not of high quality (in Israel) and maybe this is why we eat chicken and turkey meat. Both are healthier although sometimes I feel like having a big good NY steak will solve many problems.

7. Re: smoked meat/corned beef deli sandwiches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 06, 2009