We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for Local Guides for Self-Drive holiday in Israel

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 5
Advice for Local Guides for Self-Drive holiday in Israel

Hi,

My wife and I plan to travel to Jordan and Israel in the beginning of December for 2 weeks. For the first week, I already booked the Jordan part of my trip through a local tour operator (with driver, guide, etc), and for 6 days I will cover most of the major sites in the country. I was going to do the same for Israel (6 days) until I realize the costs for the same kind of service will be much higher (and out of our budget). The tour operator proposed the following itinerary:

Day 1 - Arrive to Israel from Jordan River Crossing in PM (we will be coming from Jerash). Trasfer to Tiberias hotel.

Day 2 - Tiberias - Sea of Galilee - Kefar naum, Mount of Beatitudes - Safed - Golan Heights - Golan Wineries (Stay in Tiberias)

Day 3 - Nazareth - Bahaii Garden - Haifa - Caesarea - Jerusalem (Stay in Jerusalem)

Day 4 - Jerusalem Old City Tour (stay in Jerusalem)

Day 5 - Bethlehem - New Jerusalem (stay in Jersalem)

Day 6 - Free Day in Jersusalem (shops, museums, etc.) (stay in Jerusalem)

Day 7 - Departure in the morning (TLV Airport).

My questions are as follows:

1) If I want to replicate a similar itinerary as above, but I want to save costs, can I easily find transportation (taxis) from Jordan River Crossing Terminal to the Tiberias hotel? How much would that cost?

2) I read that it is very easy to rent a car and drive around ourselves (especially in the Golan and Sea of Galilee region where we will be). Is it easy to rent a car in Tiberias and return it in Jerusalem? I was reading the Eldan website and there is no option to order a GPS for the cars.

3) Is it possible to get a local guide to meet us at the locations where we will be visiting? Do I need one guide for the Galilee region and one for Jerusalem? How much would that cost and where is the best place to locate these guides?

Thanks and looking forward to getting help from my fellow travelers!

Dennis

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 76
11. Re: Advice for Local Guides for Self-Drive holiday in Israel

You didn't mention which day of the week you are planning to do these things on. Just be aware that most things close down for Shabbat (Friday afternoon to Saturday evening). It would be a good idea if you let us know which day of the week is Day 1 in your plan so that people here can let you know if your plans will be affected by Shabbat

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 112
12. Re: Advice for Local Guides for Self-Drive holiday in Israel

In general Tour Operators have never been to the places they recommend to their clients. All this being said I think you can manage day 2 if you depart from your Tiberias hotel by 8 a.m. The next day is imposssible. You must prioritize and go from there. I would go to Nazareth and Caesarea -- but this is my opinion and not a must.

In Beit Shean I suggest taking a taxi to the bus and, as suggested above take the bus to Tiberias. Although Beit Shean is not that far from Tiberias, the cost will be several hundred shekels you could use best elsewhere. This being if you are not arriving between Friday afternoon and Saturday night when there is no public transportation.

Your itinerary is totally dependent on the days of the week you plan visiting. For instance the churches in the Galilee are closed on Sunday, many of the sites in the Old City are closed on Saturday, etc. Let us know the day of the week you plan on crossing into Israel, so we can give more concrete suggestions.

Chana

Israel

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 5
13. Re: Advice for Local Guides for Self-Drive holiday in Israel

Hi,

Thanks for the reminder. Our Day 1 will be 7 Dec (Saturday), which will be during the Shabbat. Therefore, we plan to take a taxi directly from the Jordan River Crossing to the hotel in Tiberias/Ginosuar (no buses will be available). And we plan to pick up the rental car the followng morning.

14. Re: Advice for Local Guides for Self-Drive holiday in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 28, 2014