We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Wall bar mitzvah

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 30
Southern Wall bar mitzvah

We are attending a bar mitzvah at the Southern Wall in a couple of weeks. The bar mitzvah is scheduled for 9.00 am on a Thursday. I have a few questions. First, we will be coming via taxi (we're staying at the Dan Jerusalem on Mt. Scopus), and we will have a family member who can walk only a block or two before she needs a wheelchair (which we will have with us). What's the best place to have the taxi driver drop us? Second, how much time should we allow for security on the way in? Last, what is suitable attire for the ceremony? I know Israel is very informal, so would a nice dress shirt and khaki pants be OK for the men? Can women wear pants? Is it OK to wear a dress that stops an inch above the knee? We don't want to offend anyone. Thanks for your help.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
1. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

The fact that it is being held at the Southern Wall ( or Robinson's Arch) tells me it is not Orthodox. Under those circumstance your dress and the male dress is fine. No one will be offended. A taxi may or may not be allowed to enter the Dung Gate. ( which is the closest) If not, they will have to go through the Jewish Quarter and down the hill. Alternately you can be dropped right outside the dung gate and she can be pushed in. I do not think there is any seating there ( I may be wrong and someone WILL correct me) so you may want to bring the wheelchair just to make it easier.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
2. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

Have the taxi take you to the Dung Gate - you will have very little to walk - the entrance to the Davidson Center (the Southern Wall) is across the street from the wall itself. It will seem counter-intuitive, but go in the opposite direction of logic and then turn right - you will see the entrance.

There is no security that you will have to go through.

In terms of suitable attire, best to consult with the family. In general I would say that a dress shirt and khaki slacks are fine - in terms of pants for women, best to check with them. Usually, when a bar mitzvah is held at this venue the family is Conservative or Reform, so pants would be fine, same with a dress an inch above the knee - but if you are in doubt, check with them to get the answer that is right.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
3. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

There is no seating, unless the family has arranged to have chairs brought in. There are plenty of places that one can sit, but these are huge stone blocks.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
4. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

Well glad to see Oreet and I posted at the same time--basically the same thing, and then she came back (thank-you) and confirmed my seating comment!

5. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

Great to hear that we will not have to allocate a long time for security-- it will be all I can do to get everyone there for the 9.00 am start time, let alone any earlier for security! Any ideas how long we should allow for the taxi ride from the Dan Jerusalem to the Dung Gate on a Thursday morning?

London, United...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

If as you say, it is the Dan on Mount Scopus, then they go through Wadi Joz and it is 10 to 15 minutes.

7. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

Perfect, thanks.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
8. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

You can take a peak at ours if you like

https:/…

9. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

You have a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing!

10. Re: Southern Wall bar mitzvah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 18, 2014