We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

First let me say, what a wealth of information you have provided me as I plan my visit to Israel. Thank you. We will be staying in Herzliya (with car) and plan to visit Jerusalem on a number of days, I was wondering if there was parking on the outskirts of Jerusalem where we could park and then catch a bus into the old city for our day trips? You have convinced me not to drive into the city, but I would prefer to drive part way rather than taking a bus directly from Herzliya.

Thanks

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 33
1. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

http://www.jet.org.il/Web/En/Default.aspx if you roll down on theis page you'll find "park&ride" with details. But I suggest taking the bus because the road to Jerusalem (route no. 1) is always full and slow. Buses do it better and you can sit and enjoy the view. You can drive to the Savidor train station that has lots of parking, leave the car and take bus 480 from there.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

I would urge you to NOT drive to Jerusalem. While there are 3 park and ride lots they aren't in places where you will necessarily find them easily.

If you are going in the AM you will find parking near Savidor. As it gets into the afternoon--parking does get tighter ( you do pay) Driving however to Jerusalem is getting worse and worse traffic wise. I used to drive and park--usually at Mamilla or Karta--but again, not for the faint of heart--- but nowadays I would rather just take the bus. Route 1 has large sections of road where there are bus only lanes ( heading to Jerusalem) Getting out of the city can be hard ( traffic wise) and depending upon the time going past Tel Aviv is horrendous. The bus uses this "FAST" lane that a car would not only have to pay for but would need to sign up for in advance!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
reviews: 77
3. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

I only "half" agree with the suggestions not to drive to Jerusalem. I drive at least once every two months and always park at Mamilla just across from the old town of jerusalem (walking distance) and many coffee shops above the parking lot for refreshment

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
reviews: 42
4. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

I think both rdglady and giora are right. It's really a matter of how confident you are driving in irritating conditions and finding your way around. It is certainly possible to drive to Jerusalem and you will find somewhere to park, though at some times you may have to drive around for 10-15 minutes to do so. If you want or need the flexibility and comfort of your own car - go for it and drive carefully and patiently. If not - go for the bus as rdglady explains.

Jerusalem, Israel
5. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

Very dependent on the time of day. If it's not rush hour getting to Mamilla is not bad. You can also drive into the city on the 443 (not as heavily trafficked as route one, it does cut through the West Bank but is perfectly safe) and then take the Begin Highway which gives you access to Binyanei HaUma the Jerusalem convention center which has paid parking and is across the street from the Bus Station and light rail lines or you can take it further to the Jerusalem Mall and Teddy Stadium which both have free parking and bus lines into the city.

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

Thank you all very much for your suggestions, We arrive on a thursday and plan to tour Jerusalem on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Taking into account the closures for Shabbat, it still appears we should have plenty of options for sightseeing ( I will post a new topic for those questions) but the bus route may be tricky. Perhaps we will do the "drive-in" on Shabbat and use the bus the other two days. Off topic a bit, but would driving to Teddy Stadium on a thursday evening for 7pm (from Herzliya) be advisable or would the bus still be the best option?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
reviews: 42
7. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

Thursday evening could be pretty bad and I would be inclined to use the bus.

Shabbat is a totally different story - traffic will be very light and you will have no trouble finding somewhere to park. The car park in Mamilla right by the Old City that is open on Shabbat can be very busy, but there are plenty of other places to park. If you leave Jerusalem in the evening after Shabbat has ended it will be much busier again.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
reviews: 77
8. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

I would suggest to reach Jerusalem as early as possible on Thursday

Are you planning on a specific hotel? (some have paring)

I would plan for Saturday the Israel Museum and a good late Middel East lunch in Abu Gosh (outside Jerusalem)

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

Thanks Again for all the help, the traffic comments I am reading in the other posts are really a worry. I don't want to jump into the other topic so I hope you can help me here. I am still debating on driving into Jerusalem (from Herzliya) and parking. Over Shabbat it seems to be OK and the best solution, but my concern is on the Thursday getting to Teddy for a 7 pm event. We arrive Ben Gurion at noon, pick up our rental car and make our way to Herzliya to check in (hopefully by 3pm) then turn around and head to Teddy for 7pm. Not very efficient I know, I admit it was poor planning on my part, we should have come in on the Wednesday to avoid the big rush, but too late now.

My question is do you think the bus with connections is still the best way to go or do I take my chances and drive and park and fight the traffic to make it to the event?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
10. Re: Visiting Jerusalem and Parking

Herzliya to Teddy Stadium by public transport at the best of times is a killer journey, and you'll be pushed for time. You would need to take a minimum of either (a) bus or taxi to Herzliya railway station and a train to Tel Aviv Merkaz, then a bus from there to Jerusalem central bus station, light rail from there to Mount Herzl and a bus (or taxi) from there to Teddy, or (b) a taxi from your hotel to Tel Aviv Merkaz, and then bus to Jerusalem and a taxi to Teddy.

If it's a big event there will be crowds going there, and consequently masses of traffic.