We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
visiting jerusalem

Vivien M

Save this Post

12. Re: Visiting Jerusalem

today, 20:08

We are visiting Jerusalem in July for 2 weeks and want to know about sightseeing without being charged too much for day trips. We tend to do things by using local transport etc but wish to see all of the main sights Bethlehem , the Sea of Galilee ,all the Biblical places

25 replies to this topic
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 34
1. Re: visiting jerusalem

Most of the sites can be toured on your own. Many have audioguides or brochures with maps and explanations. For sites in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv you can use public transport (buses and train). For the Sea of Gallili the best is to rent a car as public transport is not frequen eough.

Now tell us what are your interests for suggestions on what to see and how to plan your trip. This should be done ASAP as you need to book hotels in a very busy season.

2. Re: visiting jerusalem

Many thanks for your prompt reply, if I don t drive how else do we get around

We have booked a hotel and want to visit all the Biblical sites but not be over charged or ripped off but could do with some idea of prices

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 26
3. Re: visiting jerusalem

In which hotel will you be staying? For a two week trip it would make sense to be based in two or three different places in different parts of the country. You should especially spend a few days in the Galilee area - many Christian sites are there and it is not realistic to commute backwards and forwards to Jerusalem while sightseeing.

You can visit much of Israel by public transport (largely buses) but parts of the north are not easily accessible by bus. An option is to take a group tour for a day or two.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
4. Re: visiting jerusalem

For buses see here:

bus.co.il/otobusim/Front2007/homepage.asp…

Trains:

http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/Homepage.aspx

With very few exceptions there is no public transport on Shabbat (the Sabbath), from about an hour before sunset on Fridays (meaning buses reach their destinations then) until after dark on Saturdays. Taxis are available on Shabbat.

Bethlehem is in the Palestinian Authority and is served by frequent buses from the bus station next to the Damascus Gate of Jerusalem's Old City. Being Arab buses, they are not affected by Shabbat and run as normal on Saturdays.

The Christian sites in Galilee are not well served by public transport. It is better to take a tour to see these places.

eggedtours.com/tours/nazareth-tiberias-and-t…

5. Re: visiting jerusalem

many thanks for your help

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
6. Re: visiting jerusalem

If you take organized group day trips you are not going to be ripped off. The brochures publish prices and that is what you pay. In addition they usually suggest you tip the guide and the driver. Sites that charge admission have the amounts displayed. Private guides charge a range of prices but you agree in advance. Israel is not a country where you have to be constantly scared of being "ripped off"

7. Re: visiting jerusalem

Thank you for your advise

I have looked up a few trips and they do seem quite expensive like £120 a couple, when you want to see everything I can see our spending money going and some in the first week and that's before we have found a bite to eat

We were hoping to visit some of the holy places without guides as I can see that we will have to leave some out with the price of each trip being so high

It has taken us a while to save for such a trip, they we have wanted to do forever

We wanted to go to the Red Sea ,

Galilee, Nazareth garden tomb, garden of gethsemane, city of David

Mount of olives, all of these trips are quite expensive

We would like to do it the cheapest way we poss can

Any ideas would be appreciated

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
8. Re: visiting jerusalem

<<We wanted to go to the Red Sea , >>

Are you sure you mean the Red Sea, which is five hours' drive from Jerusalem at the southern tip of the country? As a sea it's not particularly interesting, and it isn't red. I assume you actually mean the Dead Sea, where you can float for a few minutes - as much as anyone would want, unless you want to be totally pickled!

The bus tour I mentioned in my earlier post is good value. It's not possible to do all this by public transport in one day because buses are infrequent in that part of the country, and are timed to suit local residents heading to work in the city, not tourists.

9. Re: visiting jerusalem

Oh did I say the Red Sea yes I did mean the Dead Sea is this possible to do these trips without breaking the bank lol

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 11
10. Re: visiting jerusalem

You can visit the places outside of Jerusalem by public transport, but it is not as efficient as a tour. For example, you can take a bus to Nazareth, stay overnight there, continue by bus to Tiberias the next day and take a local bus to Ginossar, Tabgha, Capernaum, etc. A bus from Jerusalem to Nazareth costs about 42 NIS and takes about 2.5 hours.

Similarly you can take a bus to the Dead Sea, e.g. Ein Gedi - where you can go into the water and also visit the Ein Gedi Nature Reserve. If you also want to visit Massada you will have to stay overnight at the hostels in Ein Gedi or Massada.

You can check bus schedules at www.otobusim.co.il .

The hostels: www.iyha.org.il

Reply to: visiting jerusalem
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted