We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report for Jerusalem.

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Desert...
reviews: 42
Trip Report for Jerusalem.

We were in Israel 2 years ago so, of course, visited sights we did not get to then.

Thank you to TA and all of the Israel Experts. Part of this visit was to meet an entire side of my husband's family that he "found" through two years of research. Everyone was very receptive and now we have family members in Eretz Israel.

Jerusalem: One day with our guide, Avi Ben-Hur, who is a walking encyclopedia. If you want his information, please contact me directly. First stop was Mt. Herzl where we stayed for over 2 hours. It's a shame that many people just come to see the one monument. There is so much history here. The taxi driver told us that his son was buried there---we both teared up. Then to the Market, which is CRAZY pre-Shabbes, but a terrific place. I can't believe how beautiful the fruits were!!! Lunch at a grill restaurant around the corner, expensive but we ate well. Then we took the tram/train to Ammunition Hill which was closed. Now, according to many different web sites it was supposed to be open. But sadly not. Then a walk around the old/new train station near our hotel, Inbal. Lot's of restaurants and a place to go even on Shabbat.Then the German Colony--interesting history. And some other little walks.

Saturday, On our own we walked to the Israel Museum. We had gone there before but wanted to see the Herod Exhibit. This is a wonderful museum that needs time. You can't rush it.

Taxi to Jaffa Gate. Looked for, and of course got lost trying to find the Austrian Hospice. But did find it. Sorry folks, strudel not good. All dough. But it was a good place for a quiet rest.

Sunday: Did the Kotel underground tour which was excellent. Do not miss this and do not waste money with your own guide here. We had a wonderful guide, included in the price of the visit. Lunch and then walked around the Jewish Quarter and then back to hotel. Dinner at Olive and Fish right across the street from the Inbal. Husband's very good, my chicken kebob had to be sent back since it wasn't cooked properly. Still not right but the rest of the meal was fine.

On to Haifa in my next post in the Haifa forum.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 62
1. Re: Trip Report for Jerusalem.

Thanks for sharing. It sounds as if you are having a great time (apart from the chicken).

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Trip Report for Jerusalem.

Thanks for the report. BTW there is no problem with your posting contact information for your guide. It IS allowed.

reviews: 29
3. Re: Trip Report for Jerusalem.

We're heading to Jerusalem next week, so I am excited to read your trip report. Did you buy tickets for the Herod exhibit ahead of time? We are planning to go on Saturday, June 22. Is it OK just to show up and buy tickets at the museum that morning?

Palm Desert...
reviews: 42
4. Re: Trip Report for Jerusalem.

We got to the museum on Sat. at opening time and there was a slight line. I don't think you can buy tickets ahead of time.

Worth the visit as he was so important to the history of Jerusalem.

Safe trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 81
5. Re: Trip Report for Jerusalem.

I agree with you about the strudel at the Austrian Hospice. Not the best thing on the menu by a long shot but I love going there, especially on a heavy walking/touring day.

Keep posting, it is so interesting to follow people's travels.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 68
6. Re: Trip Report for Jerusalem.

The Herod exhibit is included in the entry price to the Israel Museum. The closer to opening time the shorter the line to the exhibit.

Chana

Israel

7. Re: Trip Report for Jerusalem.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2014