We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Mitzvah Lunch

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Needham...
Bar Mitzvah Lunch

My son's Bar Mitzvah is this July at the Goldman Promenade in Jerusalem. I had originally asked for suggestions for a restaurant close to the promenade but have since decided that as this is a celebration it is more important to pick a restaurant that offers a great atmosphere and really good food. I am open to either dairy or meat. We will be a small group of about 15 (although we could be more) so I don't need a private room. I'd like a place that has a view or really good character.

These are the restaurants that I plan on looking into:

1. Polly's (it's the closest to the promenade)

2. Mamilla Hotel Rooftop - while beautiful I'm concerned that it may not be the best idea to eat outside after we have already spent a couple of hours already in the heat. Anyone eat there in the afternoon in the summer?

3. Taverna

4. Montefoire

5. Ticho House

Any other suggestions? Any that I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
11. Re: Bar Mitzvah Lunch

Ticho house has loads of shade outside. It is a beautiful garden. They also have huge fans set up. As incredible as it sounds, it is not hot and NO ONE sits inside in the summer. The Bar Mitzvah I went to was the middle of the summer. We loved the food and it was very comfortable.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 135
12. Re: Bar Mitzvah Lunch

Bet Ticho is a fabulous location. I have not been there in July, but there is a lot of shade -- and the place is so very charming.

Douglas Duckett

Needham...
13. Re: Bar Mitzvah Lunch

@rdglady, thanks I was hoping to hear that the Ticho House is well shaded! Have you by any chance been to the Mamilla Hotel Rooftop? Any chance it is also very well shaded and cool in the summer? They are only open during the day to private parties so perhaps the heat could be the reason?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 99
14. Re: Bar Mitzvah Lunch

Mamilla is lovely but you will like Ticho better because of better shading, IMHO.

I was at a morning Bar Mitzah there at the end of June with temps in the 90's - never felt the heat or any direct sunshine. I have no doubt that after their renovations the place is better than ever.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
15. Re: Bar Mitzvah Lunch

The Mamilla is too hot to sit outside during the day in the summer in my opinion. My husband and I had a lovely lunch there but we hid inside. Being on the roof, it was very hot and the shade umbrellas were not that effective at keeping the heat down.

Jerusalem, Israel
reviews: 24
16. Re: Bar Mitzvah Lunch

I was beyond disappointed last time I was at ticho house. Yes it's lovely, not sure how shady, we were there in the early evening. The food and service were very bad, they were very slow and served us pizza that wasn't completely baked. There were several groups there and I think they booked too many groups for that night. Food is typical boring Israeli dairy restaurant food, nothing exciting

Have you heard of eucalyptus? It's supposed to be very special http://www.the-eucalyptus.com

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
17. Re: Bar Mitzvah Lunch

The food at Eucalyptus is very good but hardly fare that young teens or children might enjoy. It is also quite formal as far as Israeli restaurants go and definitely at the top end of the restaurant pricing.

This is a great lunch or evening out for a couple or a small group of friends.

Shira_K- it is too bad that you have had a bad experience at Ticho House, I would think that most restaurants miss the mark every once in a while, but I took 2 groups of 30 and 40 there in the past 2 years and on each occasion it was outstanding. What might seem 'typical boring Israeli dairy restaurant' food to you, is still a huge treat for us visitors who would pay an arm and a leg back home for the kinds of meals offered in 'typical' restaurants in Israel.

18. Re: Bar Mitzvah Lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2014