We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment in Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Apartment in Jerusalem

I've been offered an apartment in Jerusalem on Lincoln Street (during June) for a very attractive rate by athomeinisrael.com. Should I be worried? I've never been to Israel before and have obviously never used the site before. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
1. Re: Apartment in Jerusalem

This is a reputable company and looking at the 2 apartments on Lincoln street that they have, the location is excellent. A couple of things when renting an apartment in Israel:

-what floor is it on, the first floor is one floor up, an apartment on the 4th floor is up 4 flights of stairs. Is that okay with you? Our apartment last summer on Lincoln was up 4 flights. We didn't mind but it was a bit of a haul for the luggage.

-what is the cancellation policy? If you have to pay up front with no cancellation clause and you don't have insurance to cover this possibility, don't put all your money down. Some places will require you to pay in full up front, I feel more comfortable dealing with an reputable agency rather than directly with a landlord when it comes to cancellation policy.

-What are the other fees, not all rentals include utilities, most will add a cleaning fee, third party sites may add an administration fee

When renting an apartment, you should expect it to be in good repair but there are always little things that may need adjusting or fixing. Let the landlord know. There should also be a manual that tells you how to use the appliances and many apartments now include free wifi.

Double beds in Israel are often 2 twin beds together. This has to do with Jewish ritual laws and would be expected in apartments that cater to religious clientele (those that provide kosher kitchens for example). More apartments and hotels are offering double or queen beds now but you might want to know the bed configuration beforehand if it matters to you.

Apartments are such a great option, much less expensive than hotels and far more room. Staying in residential neighbourhoods also gives you a taste of Israeli life.

Washington DC...
2. Re: Apartment in Jerusalem

Thank you so much for your response. They are asking for a 25% (nonrefundable) deposit in order to reserve the apartment and everything is supposedly included in the price...this seems very fair to us. I'm assuming we'll be expected to pay the balance once we arrive.

3. Re: Apartment in Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 04, 2014