We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LONDON
reviews: 21
Travelling around Jerusalem

Hi there. We are coming to Israel at the beginning of April. We are staying in the leonardo plaza which I thought was central but when I look at the things we want to do a lot of things seem an hours journey either way or a 20 minutes walk. For example on day one we want to take the Sanderman free walking tour, then I've booked a a Western Wall Tunnel trip then I though we'd go to Yad Vashem. Is there a site that can help me plan transport from one to another. I can do google walking but other transport? Many thanks

Washington State
reviews: 11
11. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

>Bus 38 is indeed an option but is infrequent - if you are 3 or 4 people, just take a taxi.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Just to highlight this comment, my experience with busses in Jerusalem is mixed. There is very little schedule info that is not in Hebrew. Once I waited 1:15 minutes for a bus that should have come every :30 and finally gave up and took a taxi. You don't say how many people are in your group, but if it is 3-4, I wouldn't bother with a bus. Time when you travel is very valuable.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
12. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

You've got great information but one correction. There is a 38 and a 38 א . The 38 is a shuttle that goes from the Jewish Quarter, to the stop outside the Dung Gate, down KIng David Street, to right across from the Mamila Mall and back in the Jaffa Gate. The 38 א is the one that goes into the city and past the Plaza hotel. Each runs every 30 minutes. One on the hour and half hour and one on the quarter hour. Ask the hotel concierge to check online for which is which. BUT--it is an easy walk, as per the directions you were already given.

Forgot to say, the Hebrew is read 38 Aleph!

Edited: 8:32 pm, March 16, 2013
LONDON
13. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

Thankfully I know what an aleph is. Something I don't have to worry about. There are just 2 of us and as the weather should be decent I think it will be a combination of walking, bus and at the end of the day taxi

I do like to know how you can get around somewhere when you're planning a busy day - try not to look too much like a tourist - I'll have to get over it!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
14. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

"I do like to know how you can get around somewhere when you're planning a busy day - try not to look too much like a tourist"

The best way varies. It depends on where you are starting and where you are going. It depends upon traffic at the moment. Many places are accessible via the LIght Rail and walking. You have received some directions. If you post more specifically where you are going--we can give you more directions. BTW what you have received--yes, it is as easy as it sounds.

In terms of looking like a tourist--you ARE a tourist, what is the big deal?

LONDON
15. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

I seemed to have irritated you - sorry. You're right - I am a tourist, I have received directions for my first full day which is really helpful to get me started. I was being chatty rather then needing more information. I will ask when I'm there if I need more help. Thanks again.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 36
16. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

I don't think you irritate anyone - we all understand the desire to fit in and not stick out like a sore thumb - however, you have nothing to worry about - there are so many tourists and new immigrants around that no one will pay any special notice to your not speaking Hebrew or needing basic directions - relax and enjoy - you'll have a great time.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
17. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

You did NOT irritate me. Although I live 1/2 time in Israel--I too am legally a tourist. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
18. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

You would have to be bright blue with three heads to really stick out in Israel! Israelis - and tourists - come in all shapes and sizes, and you don't need to worry about "looking like a tourist". On the contrary, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised how the locals are very willing to help you. If you stand in the street trying to figure out where you are on the map, it won't be long before someone asks if you need help, and will happily point you in the right direction.

Being a tourist isn't shameful and embarrassing... ;-)

19. Re: Travelling around Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 19, 2014