We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas...
Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

I had my Shahada last year in Dallas. Do I have to prove I am a muslim before gaining access for prayer at the Dome of the Rock?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
1. Re: Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

You will probably be asked a number of questions to prove you are a Muslim in order to gain access to the Temple Mount.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
2. Re: Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

You will definitely have to prove you are Muslim to enter. Muslims are not restricted to when they can enter the Temple Mount area. HOWEVER, expect to be quizzed on knowledge, quote for the Koran etc. etc. Note: these questions are carried out by the Muslim WAKF. Israel has nothing to do with it.

Dallas, Texas...
3. Re: Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

I can go when non-muslims are allowed to enter. However, I wonder whether the authorities will seize me during general hours f I perform Salat, the Islamic prayer.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
4. Re: Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

I don't know where you are getting these ideas. The authorities are not looking to seize anyone - there are regularly held prayers in the mosques on the Temple Mount every day. As a Muslim you will be allowed up there at any hour of the day.

Sadly, the only people who have to worry about being "seized" by the authorities are non-Muslims who want to pray on the Temple Mount.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
5. Re: Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

The Wakf only allows Muslims into the Dome of the Rock and the al-Aqsa Mosque. So, even if you enter through the regular tourist gate to the Temple Mount, you WILL be challenged prior to entering either building. If they feel you are not really a Muslim you can end up with being denied entrance.

Edited: 7:59 am, February 03, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
6. Re: Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

Moslems can pray on Temple Mount anytime. You have access to the mosque and Dome of the Rock as well. As an American tourist, you can expect to be questioned to prove you are a moslem but you don't need to worry about it. By the way, I followed a blog from a Moslem girl from Gaza who visited Jerusalem and was plenty put out that she had to prove she was a Moslem by reciting prayers before they allowed her access. She was even wearing a hijab at the time and her ID clearly stated she was from Gaza. She was with a girls school trip. She was questioned by the Moslem Waqf. This seems quite standard practise.

Your visit will be far more politically uneventful than you are are thinking. Enjoy your visit.

7. Re: Dome of the Rock access for American Muslim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 05, 2014