We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water tunnel Hezekiah

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 26
water tunnel Hezekiah

How is the experience in the winter (mid to late December)? What clothing is appropriate? Should we skip water tunnel this time of year. Thank you

Washington State
reviews: 11
1. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

The water temperature and ambient temperature don’t change all that much in the tunnel. However, weather in Jerusalem in December can vary widely. It could be sunny and 70 degrees, or cold, rainy and 40 degrees.

If it’s warm outside, wear shorts and you’ll dry out. The bigger problem is if it’s cold, as there is nowhere to change clothes at either end. If you really want to do, you could wear shorts under your pants, take them off and put them in a small backpack, along with a towel. You can get dry enough to be something less than miserable when you’re done.

The water level is not much more than ankle depth for most of the tunnel, but there is one section where it gets deeper – almost three feet – for a short run. That’s when you get wet. In this picture, you can see where my pants are wet in this photo:

…blogspot.com/_43_X7zFHQs8/…post15.jpg

Do remember to take a good flashlight. I like a headlamp, so that you can keep your hands free. This really is a fun and interesting experience.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 104
2. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

There are change rooms by the entrance. You can leave your change of clothes there. However, you have to get back up to the entrance in your wet clothes. There are 3 ways of doing this: you can walk back up which won't be too pleasant if it is cold out, you can walk back up along the Roman Road and dry water channel (which is underground) or you can take the shuttle back up which makes the most sense in this situation.

If you want to skip the water tunnel, you can do the Canaanite tunnel which is right next to it and is dry and well lit.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 23
3. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

I would not recommend walking in water in Hezekiah's Tunnel during the Jerusalem winter months. I'd use the dry Canaanite tunnel instead at that time of year.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 36
4. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

Another vote for skipping the water tunnel in the winter.

In the summer it has the added plus of being a nice change from the hot weather. However, the water is cold year round and not a treat in the winter.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 112
5. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

The water temperature is cold, as mentioned above. However, if the air temperature is warm (can be as high as low 80's in December occasionally), then I would walk in Hezekiahs' tunnel and you will drive off quickly. If rainy or cool, take a look at the water tunnel from it's entrance and walk the dry Canaanite tunnel. BTW, the advantage of walking this way is seeing part of the park, that most people miss -- possible location of David's Tomb (by some scholars), first house in City of David, location of ancient synagogue and more.

Chana

Israel

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 18
6. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

We just walked it on Friday and the water wasn't too cold. The tiny flashlights that they sell at the gift shop stink, bring a mini halogen or something. Skip this if you have ANY fear of closed spaces or claustrophobia, it freaks people out!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
7. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

The water will stay at acceptable temps as long as Israel stays relatively warm. As soon as Jerusalem starts getting cold days and nights the water temperature will drop making winter walks difficult. Don't forget water retains its' temp longer than air. Once cold, it will stay cold--even if there is a warmer day here or there.

Washington State
reviews: 11
8. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

Actually, I believe the water termperature stays around 17C/63F degrees year round. Remember, it is a spring and not a river and underground temperatures are very consistent.

On a hot summer day the cool tunnel air and 63 degree water feels great and you dry quick. If you have a cold, wet day in winter you will FEEL a lot colder, even if the water is still 63 degrees.

San Diego...
reviews: 2
9. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

I walked the Canaanite Tunnel ( Warren's Shaft) with a friend. We're ages 52 & 53. Unfortunately, there was also a small group along with us and we were sandwiched between the group with a very slow and struggling older man ( we thought he was going to have a heart attack from the sound of his breathing) in front of us. Even though it was November ( just this past November 15th) and cooler outside, the tunnel was stuffy and warm.

I began to feel like I was going to have a panic attack and just wanted out of there. I just suggest that if you decide on the dry tunnel that you don't go in behind a group but be in front of the group.

My husband walked Hezekiah's tunnel instead and he liked it. He said it was cooler ( than my tunnel) and the water level was only high ( about thigh level) when you first come into the tunnel. He was wearing jeans and he just pulled it up and he had no regrets.

I bought a brand new pet drying towel from the dollar store so it packed very flat which my husband used to dry himself afterwards then could dispose of instead of a bulky towel.

Edited: 2:18 am, December 03, 2012
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 36
10. Re: water tunnel Hezekiah

Thanks for sharing your recent experiences.

One clarification The Canaanite Tunnel is the older, dry water tunnel that you can walk if you don't want to go through Hezekiah's Tunnel.

Warren's Shaft is not the same as the Canaanite Tunnel - it is a shaft or pier in the rock that you will pass on the way to either the Canaanite Tunnel or Hezekiah's Tunnel.