We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

We are taking a 1 day tour from Tel Aviv to Dead Sea area on Saturday and are debating if we should stay in the Dead Sea area and then take the bus to Jerusalem the next morning or if we should just go to Jerusalem on the day of Shabbat (after sundown). Can someone please advise what we should do?

Is it easy to go from Dead Sea to Jerusalem by bus? I just don't want to end up in Jerusalem and not able to check in to my hotel on Shabbat, even though we won't arrive until after sundown.

Thank you!

Randle, Washington
reviews: 3
1. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

I would suggest you ask you hotel. For the most part Jerusalem comes back to life after 7-8 on Saturday.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
2. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

You could check in on Shabat. Most hotels have check-ins on the regular basis, e.g. at 1400 like any other day. Before booking check on their website if their Shabat check-in is different. It is not a like having a curfew on Shabat, most places behave nornally.

Edited: 1:59 pm, October 20, 2012
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

Which hotel will you be staying at? Most hotels allow check-in on Shabbat.

For bus times see:

…egged.co.il/eggedtimetable/…

Where will you be at the Dead Sea? The first bus from Ein Gedi to Jerusalem on Sunday is at 8:14 and the next one at 10:25.

However, Shabbat ends very early this time of year. If you mean October 27, it ends at 5:30 p.m., and it's not likely that a day tour will end much before that, so I doubt there will be any problem checking into your hotel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
4. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

You indicate that you will be arriving in Jerusalem after Shabbat is over - so why do you think you will have any problems checking in. Once Shabbat is over it is business as usual. The only thing is that you may have to wait for your room to be ready if the people who stayed there before you checked out after Shabbat - still not a problem.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 101
5. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

What is the advantage of taking a tour with luggage to the Dead Sea (I'm assuming including Masada) and staying at a Dead Sea hotel? How will you get to the hotel? Don't expect the tour to drop you off at a hotel as there are only two on the way and they are not directly on the road, making access, difficult for you. In any case most of the hotels at both locations (DS & Jerusalem) will have check in only from about 3 hours after Shabbat ends , so Jerusalem would be a better choice for an overnight stay.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
6. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

What kind of tour are you taking to the Dead Sea. Are you positive it is not picking people up in Jerusalem also. If so, they will, most likely be willing to drop you back in Jerusalem.

If you get to the Jerusalem hotel and your room is not ready the hotel will be more than willing to hold your luggage so you can go and get a bite to eat--or just walk around.

I guess the important questions are what tour are you taking and which hotel are you staying at?

New York City, New...
7. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

Thanks everyone for your reply. All very helpful comments.

For now, we have booked a 1 day tour for Masada and Dead Sea (leaving from Tel Aviv). They will drop us off at Prima Palace Hotel in Jerusalem at around 5:30pm. (Just found out about the arrival time from a friend. I thought we'd arrive much later.) The hotel said we can check in after 8pm. Do you think we can just drop off the luggage at the hotel before checking in? (According to one website, Shabbat ends at about 5:30pm in Jerusalem.)

Thanks for your advise!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
8. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

The Prima Palace is a strictly Orthodox hotel. It caters to an Ultra Orthodox guest. It is one of the few that probably does not have any check in on the Sabbath. I do not even know if their desk is open for anything but emergencies on the Sabbath. How did you end up at this hotel? I honestly feel you will be more comfortable at either the Prima Kings or Prima Royale. I do not know if your tour bus will be able to get to the hotel if the Sabbath is still on.

BTW different groups have the Sabbath ending at different times. What is your date? This way we can verify when the Sabbath goes out. It will NOT be the earliest time for those at this hotel.

Edited: 11:56 pm, October 21, 2012
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
9. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

Standard time of Shabbat ending (observed by all but a small minority of the very strictest) is 5:30 p.m. this coming weekend. That's what you will find printed on calendars. However, the strictest observe another hour or so after that.

I second rdglady's opinion that this hotel doesn't sound right for you, although at this late stage there's probably not a lot you can do about it.

As long as you don't turn up at the reception desk with your luggage, obviously having been driving all Shabbat, earlier than about 6:30, there won't be a problem, although you won't be able to get into your room until later because the previous guests won't be able to start packing up to leave until that time. Go and have a coffee (some places will be open) before turning up at the hotel.

10. Re: Should we try to check in to hotel in Jerusalem on Shabbat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 24, 2013