We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rancho Palos...
Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

It was put together thru the expert advice I’ve received and also found by reading thru these forums.

Jerusalem Hotel: Prima Royale Hotel

Fri, Nov 8th (arrive from Amman, Jordan):

- Try to go to Western/Wailing Wall at sundown

Sat, Nov 9th:

- 8:45 Sandeman Free Tour (2 hours) – also 11am & 2pm

- Isreal Museum (new City) – 10 am – 5 pm; It’s huge so if you are only going for a few hours, be sure to visit the Shrine of the Book, the Second Temple Model and then choose one wing of the museum or the outside sculpture gardens. You just can't take in more in one day.

- 2pm Sandeman Mt of Olives Tour (3 hours) – fee (Saturday only)

- Check hours for Temple Mt?

- While in the Old City, absolutely spend some time walking around the markets. If you’re of the Christian persuasion like myself or are interested in religious sites, definitely stop by the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. For non-Muslims, the entrance hours for the Temple Mount can be tricky, but it’s worth seeing if you have the time.

- visit the shuks in the Old City

- 7:30 or 8:30pm City of David Night Spectacular? You can go to the Tower of David sound and light show. (Saturday only)

Sun, Nov 10th:

- Temple Mount - try and arrive early, as in about 8am. Spend an hour up there.

- Yad Vashem (new City)? (Sunday only)

- 2pm City of David (2 hour tour + 1 hour Hezekiah’s Tunnel) (also at 10am) (Sunday only)

- 4pm Hezekiah’s Tunnel or dry Canaanite (Sunday only)

- Is this still true (even though we probably don’t have time for it?):

o If you are doing the City of David you should just continue to the Southern Wall Excavation Park (Davidson Center) directly from there. There is an underground tunnel you walk up through which is really cool (literally) and takes you up inside this park. It's something very special to do and if you purchase tickets to both sites from the City of David there is a discounted price over purchasing the two sites separately.

- 5:30pm Western Wall Kotel Tour (1 hour + 15 mins) (also at 9:10am and 1:50pm) (Sunday only)

- In evening, you can walk around the "hot spots" of the city (boutiques and restaurants) - Mamilla Mall, German Colony or Nahalat Shiva.

- In evening be sure to take in the nightlife around Ben Yehuda or Mamilla pedestrian malls.

- For the evenings, there are lots of cool restuarants and coffee shops along Emek Refaim. After dark, the Old City kinda shuts down, but even after midnight Emek Refaim is a hopping and ecletic area. It’s surrounded by the very picturesque German Colony.

Thank you for all your help and advice!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
1. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

jlkc--your itinerary is very difficult to read since you seem to have cut and pasted from many sources.

You indicate after many items that it takes place on only one specific day. Nothing you commented next to happens only once a week. I do not know where that information comes from, it is inaccurate.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
2. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

I'm not critiquing your itinerary, only critiquing the way you have posted it. As rdglady says, it's just a big mess and makes no sense. Yad Vashem (to give only one example) is open only on Sundays? Is that what you think? Because that's what you have posted.

Leave out all that blurb and comment, and give just the bare bones of the places. You asked for advice, and that's mine!

rancho Palos...
3. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

I should have explained this better...

I meant that since we arrive on Friday evening and then depart Monday morning, the activity is only available for us to do on the day specified (only Saturday or only Sunday). Hope this clarifies things!

Edited: 1:29 am, September 04, 2012
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
4. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

It makes it slightly clearer but please--post , as shuffaluff said, day by day what you are doing. No one is going to change your days around if you don't want us to. Make a blanket statement on top to that effect. ( although we now know) Also, the commentary --we know what it is, please--we DO want to help but...we are, after all, volunteers here!

rancho Palos...
5. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

OK, let me try again with barer bones.

Fri, Nov 8th (arrive from Amman, Jordan):

- Try to go to Western/Wailing Wall at sundown

Sat, Nov 9th:

- 8:45 Sandeman Free Tour (2 hours) – also 11am & 2pm

- Isreal Museum (new City) – visit the Shrine of the Book, the Second Temple Model and then choose one wing of the museum or the outside sculpture gardens

- 2pm Sandeman Mt of Olives Tour (3 hours) – fee

- Check hours for Temple Mt?

- Walk around Old City? visit the shuks

- 7:30 or 8:30pm Tower of David Night Spectacular

Sun, Nov 10th:

- Temple Mount - arrive around 9am. Spend an hour up there.

- Yad Vashem? (new City) - some people in our party are considering skipping this due to the heavy duty emotional subject matter. If so, what could they do instead?

- 2pm City of David (2 hour tour + 1 hour Hezekiah’s Tunnel) (also at 10am)

- 4pm Hezekiah’s Tunnel or dry Canaanite tunnel

- 5:30pm Western Wall Kotel Tour (1 hour + 15 mins) (also at 9:10am and 1:50pm)

- evening: visit nightlife around Ben Yehuda, Mamilla Mall, German Colony, Nahalat Shiva or Emek Refaim areas - which one is best for 4 women aged 45 - 75 who don't want to stay out past 9pm?

Mon, Nov 11th:

- depart Jerusalem in the morning.

Hope this one's easier to understand.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 11
6. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

You have to accept the fact that you cannot see everything in Jerusalem in two days. On Saturday you want to take a 2 hr tour at 8:45, visit the Israel Museum then be back at the Old City by 2 pm. What about traveling time and lunch? Time required to find taxis, buy tickets, toilet breaks, etc? I estimate that you will have no more than 1 hr net in the Museum.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
7. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

You have far too much scheduled for Saturday - I suggest the morning Sandeman's Tour and the Israel Museum - anything more is just not doable.

The Temple Mount is closed to non-Moslems on Saturdays.

Sunday - if you want to make the most of your time and get to the Temple Mount you should be at the security point by 7 or 7:30 at the latest. You have only two days which is very limited time for Jerusalem - try to make the most of them.

You need to make reservations for the Western Wall Tunnel tour and then build your day around that.

Hezekiah's Tunnel (or the Canaanite Tunnel) are part of the City of David tour - no need to list them separately - you can't visit them without going through the City of David.

It's possible to tour the grounds of Yad VaShem without going through the museum itself - that may be a solution for those who can't handle the museum

At night - I suggest the Mamilla Mall or downtown Ben Yehuda - or wander from one to the other.

Pittsburgh...
8. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

When visiting Jerusalem this summer, I found that I could go early to explore the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which opened at 5:30 AM. At about 6:30 AM I would leave the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and head over to the Temple Mount security point, arriving there about 45 minutes before opening time. When the security point opened, I would then be among the first people up the ramp that one uses to access the Mount.

I found this was a nice approach because it allowed me to experience these two very significant and popular sites without the dense midday crowds.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 101
9. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

If you are planning the Night Spectacular and Western Wall tunnel tour, you should make a reservation now to see when there is a time slot and work your two day itinerary around this. Notice that crossing the Allenby bridge can be time consuming, so leave yourself plenty of time before arriving in Israel, the same is so for going back to Jordan. Decide on the 2 most important sites you want to visit as anchors, anything else you accomplish will be a bonus.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem, Israel
reviews: 15
10. Re: Please critique my 2+ day Jerusalem itinerary

Your trip does sound like you have quite a lot planned, but if you move quickly, I think you can get it done. Here is a doable schedule

Sat:

8:45 Sandeman

11:00 - hop in a taxi to Israel Musuem for a few hours, and then back to Old City [OR stay in Old City to wander on your own, visit Church of Holy Sepulchre and do shopping in the market]

14:00 Sandeman's Mt of Olives

17:00 Wander alleyways, stop for dinner

eve - Nigh Spectacular

Sun

7:00 In line for Temple Mt

9:00 - finish Temple Mt and go to City of David (it's close by) including Hezekiah's tunnel. I would not go all the way to the Davidson Center exit unless you are planning to tour that area.

12:00/12:30 Lunch etc, taxi to Yad V'shem

13:00 Yad V'Shem (around 3 hours), then taxi back to Old City

17:30 Western Wall Tunnel Tour (assuming you can get this time specifically)

Eve - Mamilla Mall or Ben Yehuda Street.

If you are willing to use taxis to get back and forth to sites, then this is a packed, although doable schedule. It also depends on the time you end up getting for the Tunnel Tour.

Good luck!