We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

A few days ago there was a question - or rather a statement - that bus tickets for Tel Aviv can't be bought on the bus but must be purchased beforehand.

Today I went to investigate, and as I thought (and wrote then) it's a temporary thing, only for the summer. There's an Egged employee sitting right at the departure gate with a cash register/ticket machine, so you don't have to go to the main ticket window and line up for ages. In answer to my question he said it's only until the end of August.

Tickets for other destinations can be bought as always on the bus.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
1. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

I am so glad you started this thread. A friend took the 480 late Friday morning from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv. She indicated she bought her ticket on the bus as usual. It makes me doubt if it is even full time. I guess they are trying to get that bus loaded up and out faster.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 36
2. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

Thanks for clarifying - I doubt they would ever be successful insisting people tickets in advance - I can just begin to imagine the yelling it would cause :)

Bangkok, Thailand
3. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

Just to clarify - you CAN buy Jerusalem-TA and/or Jerusalem-Haifa tickets ON the bus? That means...you just get on and the bus driver will be looking for a previously purchased ticket so he can see it or cash?

Thank you!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
4. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

Normally they are sold on the bus. I started this thread in August - in July and August (school summer holidays) when there are far more people travelling there is a different arangement to speed things up.

During the rest of the year, such as now, just get on the bus and buy your ticket from the driver.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
5. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

As said, get on the bus and buy your ticket. BTW if you are planning on doing a round trip--as for one--you will save a few shekels in the process. The driver will give you a ticket and punch it once. THen, you give the ticket to the driver on your return trip and he will punch it again. All paper tickets MUST be kept to you are off the bus. Inspectors can come on and verify that you have paid!

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 1
6. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

rdglady has a good point. If you rely on buses for intercity service, then it's always cheaper if you get a roundtrip - by 15%-20%. Roundtrip tickets in Israel Railways enjoy 10% discount.

2 rides ticket exists in most long-distance INTERCITY services (but not short distance intercity services or inside cities).

My tip (for buses only) - if you are a couple, you can buy together this 2 rides ticket and use it instantly, which will get you the same discount but for one way!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
7. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

Yes, and round-trip tickets are valid for a month (or possibly a year, I'm not sure!) but definitely at least one month, so you don't need to come back the same day.

You don't have to be "a couple" in any legal or other sense. Any two people travelling together, no matter whether you're related, married or just found each other at the bus station five minutes earlier (nobody is going to check!), can get two rides at a discount. But as Amos said, that's one way only. You can't get a two-person return (round-trip) at a double discount.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 39
8. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

I don't think there is an expiry date on bus tickets, at least not in the short term - I've used them at least 3 months later (when the other half of a return ticket turned up somewhere in my purse), and the driver assured me it wasn't about to expire.

avigail

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 36
9. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

Technically round trip tickets are good for 30 days (or a month, not sure) - there is a date stamped on them and the bus driver can definitely refuse to accept the ticket after the expiration date.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
10. Re: Buying bus tickets Jerusalem to Tel Aviv

See here:

www.egged.co.il/Eng/main.asp…

In Hebrew, there is an additional clause in the "tickets purchased from a cashier" - meaning of course from a ticket window - the return half is valid with no time restriction. You could probably bequeath it to your grandchildren! This doesn't apply to return tickets bought on the bus.