We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

Hi, I'm going to Israel for the very first time... for 3 weeks... totally alone. So I'm clueless, and nervous as well. I've been reading this forum, and the advice here is priceless.

Anyway, I want to stay in Jerusalem for 1 week. I just want to be in a very central location with easy access to mass transit, restaurants, bars, etc. I was recommended the Windmill Hotel, but when I called, I couldn't reach anyone. Oh, the hotel must have high speed internet as well in each room. Cheap is good too.

On that note, After Jerusalem I'll head to Tel-Aviv. Any hotel recommendations there? My number 1 reason for going there is to sight see, and go to nightclubs.

Is there another interesting city not too far from Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem I should check out?

Thank you! - Roni

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 36
11. Re: Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

By the way, not nearly as many businesses have websites as in USA/UK. You will probably find out more about restaurants etc by word of mouth. On the web, Haaretz Underground tries to give a kind of 'cool' guide to what's on:

haaretz.com/hasen/pages/Underground.jhtml…

If you read Hebrew, look for the 'Achbar' (Mouse) guides to what's on. If not, the Haaretz newspaper's weekend edition has an English-language guide.

Other piece of advice: I wouldn't stay near the central bus station in J'lem. It's not actually all that central, neither it is a particularly nice area. Much better to stay downtown. In J'lem *everywhere* is well-connected by bus routes (plus you can walk to almost everywhere you want to go - it's a small city).

Avigail (Jerusalem)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 135
12. Re: Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

Ronixo, to give some perspective on Avigail's helpful advice, the district she is talking about is a 15-minute walk from the YMCA, and it's where you will hang out a lot in any event. Lots of great restaurants, cafés, shops, and people watching. So that is very convenient.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

P.S. Another advantage to the YMCA: that wonderful institution hosts a Jewish-Arab kindergarten that is world-renowned. The goal is to create a sense of coexistence with "the other" when children are young, free of societal-induced hate. A real perk of staying there is watching the parents (mostly daddies, actually) parade in every morning, dropping off truly adorable little kids. It's so beautiful that I'd get a lump in my throat every morning at breakfast -- and the things the kids would say and do would frequently make me laugh. It's a lovely way to start the day.

New York
13. Re: Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

Thanks again everyone, for your great advice.

Orit, the hotel agent you recommended, does not work with the Three Arches Hotel at the Jerusalem International YMCA. :( Should I book a different hotel through her, or book directly with the YMCA? Does anyone have a link to the YMCA or their telephone number?

Otherwise, is there another centrally located hotel in Jerusalem you could recommend?

I won't have a car in Israel, btw, and I decided to abandon my laptop in NY.

For Tel-Aviv, I decided to book the Cinema Hotel on Dizengoff Square. I take it it's centrally located by strips with lots of bars, restaurants, and clubs! yay

xoxox,

Roni

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
14. Re: Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

You can book directly with the YMCA. Check out their website at www.ymca3arch.co.il, and you can e-mail I believe at info@ymca3arch.co.il. I would go with them. You're unlikely to get better rates.

Douglas Duckett

New York
15. Re: Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

Does anyone know about the Center Hotel in Tel Aviv? I requested the Cinema, but she replied in email "Can offer- the Center hotel (close to Cinema) $76.00 per night"

I had a hard time finding info about this hotel...

-Roni

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
16. Re: Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

First, a correction on the YMCA's reservations address. Write to y3arches@netvision.net.il.

The Center Hotel is a very comparable hotel to the Cinema Hotel, both on Dizengoff Square, and both properties of the Atlas Hotel chain. I think they're much alike. Apparently, the Cinema is booked. It's a fair trade, from what I hear.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
17. Re: Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

One more comment -- $76 a night is a GREAT rate for a Tel Aviv hotel. Orit did well by you, as she always does.

Douglas Duckett

new york
reviews: 15
18. Re: Hotel Recommendations? Somewhat Scared

to AIDEL: i stayed in Jerusalem Gold last year when i was in israel my self That hotel is awful, from the service to food evrything was bad.

yitzy

P.s the internet didnt work either

the Dan panorama has high spped wirless internet in all the rooms, it works great but was a bit expensive. I was there a few months ago i cant remeber how much but the hotel was pretty decent!