We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 177
Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Hello,

I will be in Jerusalem on Dec 22nd, for 3 days. Any restaurant and Cafes recommendations? I will be stayimng at Hotel Gloria in the old town, but for lunch will probably be all over the mp, depending on the day.

I usually like to go for not xpensive and Moderate priced plces, where most locals go.

Also,m any recommendations for dinner or activities for the evening of Dec 24th?

Thx

Alex

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
11. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

dw325 is right, beef in Israel is far from the quality in the US. Fruit and vegetables and dairy products are equal or better. Chicken and turkey are good.

reviews: 30
12. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Bread and baked goods generally better too.

13. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:23 pm, December 23, 2008
Israel
reviews: 4
14. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

So many great suggestions here!

You mentioned baked goods, so I just gotta throw in a plug for my favorite bakey of all time, Marzipan http://www.marzipanbakery.com

Their rugelach is AMAZING...I've even frozen it so I could bring some back to the States after a trip!

:)

15. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Only thing is that they are really nasty when crowded - I have not set foot in there since they toild me off for asking for fresh out of the oven rogelachs instead of boxed ones. So go inside the main covered lane in the market, and try Teller for great bread and Pe' er for truly great rogelachs, best sweet challahs around and excellent service at all times of day.

Israel
reviews: 4
16. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Marzipan's gotten better since they expanded...but to avoid the crowds it's best not to go on Fridays. At any rate, I'm willing to put up with the rudeness for the deliciousness factor :)

17. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

I've got the Friday lithmus test - I only go to vendors who are nice on Fridays, because those who are nice on Fridays will be nice all week long. There are a few like that in the shuk and their efforts should be rewarded because it's not easy with the crowds and the cold (or the heat). Try at least once the ones I mentioned - whos wares, in my opinion are even better than Marzipan's.

mid-hudson valley...
reviews: 1
18. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Travelchic, you may be interested in this link, if you've never seen it.

jerusalemite.net/blog/3402/a-conversation-wi…

Anon,

Is Teller the "artisan" bread place on the covered street in the shuk?

And I forgot to follow up with you about the spice shop you recommended on the opposite side of Agripas from Marzipan. I didn't see it.

The owner of Pereg, the spice/health shop, is very, very nice and I think will pass your test nicely. His recommendations are all very good and his first press, cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil is outstanding. Highly recommended.

I didn't try Marzipan's rugelach (on purpose... too dangerous!), but had their bourekas which were only okay. The best bourekas I found, that were still very flaky and tasty after a few hours, were not in the shuk itself, but at a bakery/cafe on Agripas Street, not too far down from the post office (towards King George Street). Anyone know the name of this place? I think it might be fairly new as they were handing out flyers everyday I passed by -- and eventually I gave them a try.

19. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 pm, August 10, 2009