We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 30
Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

Hello, I'm planning to visit Israel in Feb 2009 with a friend. 5 nights will be spent in Jerusalem. I'm wondering whether it would be better to rent an apartment or stay in a hotel? Thank you.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
1. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

There is no right or wrong to your question.

An apartment is most likely less money.Some apartments are rented only to individuals who are Kosher. You will have kitchen facilities. However, you will also need to make your own beds, straighten your own space etc. etc. If there is any problem while you are there you will have to call an off site owner or manager to deal with it.

The hotel will provide a huge Israeli breakfast. Someone else will clean up after you. There will be clean towels daily. There may be a health club or other facilities. There will be a front desk/concierge who can help you with questions about Jerusalem. There will be fluent Hebrew speakers to call whomever/whatever you want and get you information.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 141
2. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

rdglady has laid out the pros and the cons very well, and I have little to add. But for a visit this short, I would go with a hotel, mainly to have the assistance of staff for questions.

For a longer stay (say two weeks or so), I would definitely look at an apartment.

Enjoy your visit to this fascinating city!

Douglas Duckett

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 60
3. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

Some advantages of an apartment that rdglady didn't mention:

1.You usually have more space compared to a hotel room, especially a budget hotel.

2. You can prepare some of your meals. This saves money and can also save calories!

3. I find that staying in an apartment gives the feeling of living in the place, which is nice.

When I travel, I try to stay in an apartment whenever it is possible.

Paragon
reviews: 45
4. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

The only reason I would try and say a hotel room is best for you is because of the fact that your stay is only five nights. Otherwise it would be great for you to stay in an apartment, in my opinion. If we can help you any further I hope you will say so.

Kathy Walters

writing from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

cakywalters@iquest.net

Israel
5. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

I would say a hotel. It might be slightly less expensive to use an apartment but a hotel is just less stress (in theory!) than apartment. I dont think that for 5 nights its worth the hassle of an apartment and am not 100% sure but think that most are done on a weekly basis anyway

Hope this helps

be cool in Israel!

reviews: 29
6. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

Another consideration - February in Jerusalem can be bitterly cold and if the apartment isn't properly heated, you could end up having a truly miserable vacation.

Singapore
reviews: 30
7. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

Thanks guys for your advice! :)

I'm still trying to decide because right now, my main concern is keeping my travel costs within budget or seeing if I can increase my budget. Will be in Israel for 12 nights and will be spreading my time between Haifa(1 night), Galilee and Golan region(3 nights), Jerusalem(5 nights), Eilat(2 nights, for the purpose of taking a day trip to Petra with Desert Eco Tours) and Tel Aviv(1 night).

I've looked at Nof10 as suggested by our destination expert, Labatt, and thinking of staying there or at another gorgeous place called 'The Castle' during the 3 nights in the Galilee region(I'll be driving). It's quite a splurge though so that's why thought of renting an apartment in Jerusalem to stay within budget.

The only reason why I hesitate is because I'm not sure how the vacation apartment system works in Jerusalem. E.g. will there be enough towels provided to last the entire duration of our stay? Yeah, I know I'm crazy but the idea of re-using towels for a few days is rather horrifying to me.

Of course, if I can increase my budget or choose to stay at somewhere cheaper in Galilee, then a hotel would be great during the 5 nights in Jerusalem.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
8. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

While odds are there are enough towels to change each day, if the idea of reusing one a second day is horrifying you need to stay in a hotel. Don't forget it IS an apartment, not a hotel. Changing towels daily is hotel service. There IS a reason why hotels are more. Anon brought up an excellent point re: the heat.

BTW if you are staying one night in Tel Aviv to be near the airport--save the time of the transfer. Jerusalem is maybe 15 minutes further from the airport than Tel Aviv. The airport is outside Tel Aviv, not in the middle of the city.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 41
9. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

You can always buy cheap towels somewhere in town (unless the thought of cheap towels also horrifies you!).

reviews: 29
10. Re: Is it better to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment?

There are cheaper places than Nof10 - try hemdatyamim.com - less luxurious but the views are gorgeous - and I think that also http://www.zimmer-amirim.com/index.html (sorry English only but you can contact them at ++972-4-6990335) or

http://www.eretz-hagalil.co.il/princess_e.asp

could be less.