We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Herodium

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
reviews: 11
Driving to Herodium

Do any of you good folks know if you can drive to Herodium and stay within Israel controlled roads?

I may visit there in January and while I know it's near Bethlehem, I seem to recall hearing that there is a bypass road and that Herodium is still in an Israel controlled area.

Anyone know for sure? If I can drive there, I'll keep a rental car and avoid a big taxi fare.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 36
11. Re: Driving to Herodium

I would try to get a guided tour. The significance of parts of the site is not that obvious without (I went without, and it was nice but not particularly informative, though they give you a leaflet with some information). The drive is not difficult, but the route is not over-signposted (the person who drove me lives in the Gush Etzion area and still had to stop to ask directions in Arabic).

Avigail

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
12. Re: Driving to Herodium

Eldan and Avis allow their vehicles to be brought to all areas as long as they are NOT under Palestinian control. i.e. Ramallah, Bethlehem. Eldan might even allow the vehicles to be brought to PA areas but that needs to be verified. As far as these companies are concerned it is no different than driving up route 90 to Tiberias. I would assume the same holds true for the other companies--but I do not know, so I didnt want to post incorrect information.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 23
13. Re: Driving to Herodium

Julie, I think that which trip to visit Herodion on really depends on what you have seen in previous trips. I've lived in Israel for nearly 30 years, and only been there once.

You could manage quite a few visits to Israel and still not see all the things that are more "important" to see than Herodion. On the other hand, if it suits your particular field of interest, you could definitely go on your 2nd trip.

South Africa
reviews: 6
14. Re: Driving to Herodium

I would highly endorse Suzanne's recomemendation of Bruce Brill. We used him for two days and went with him to Herodium, Hebron, Tekoa, Gush Etzion, Ephrat and a number of other "off the beaten track" ruins. He is a very interesting person. He usually drives his own van - which has plexi-glass windows. I never felt unsafe with him, and he seems to know many of the locals in these areas.

15. Re: Driving to Herodium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 13, 2009