We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family vacation to jerusalem in february

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
family vacation to jerusalem in february

Hi I'm new to this forum and hope that i'll be able to find this after i post :). We are planning to visit Israel in Feb/08 for about ten days, we have a family wedding and so we are making the most of it. Neither my husband nor myself has been in Israel for over 20 plus years and so it is new teritory.

We would like some ideas/day trips for our children ages 16,13,10 and 6. Anything would be appreciated!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 34
21. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

Hi,

The Malcha Mall has pre-prepared foods (similar to the place that Anon recommended). No "raw materials" like you would find in the shuk.

Re: delis:

I know of a place called "New Deli" in Emek Refaim. "American style" deli sandwiches, platters, etc. They deliver too (for only 5 shekels extra), so you could have your order sent to your apartment on Friday afternoon before Shabbat comes in:

www.eluna.co.il/rest/NewDeli.asp?mumu=402

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 33
22. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

Massada can be done as 1 day trip from Jerusalem, including the Dead Sea for a float-swim. The best is to rent a car, eevn for 1 day. Joining a tour will cost more for 5. But maybe having someone to drive and a guide will make it worthwhile. At the Jaffa gate you can find a company offering these tours, and you could inquire at the tourist office. I think Doug has all th addresses in his guide.

canada
23. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

Thanks for the feedback, another question:

1. Palmach museum, any comments?

2. Eretz Breisheit, has anyone done this and what do you suggest?

We are considering going up north for two days, any direction, areas of interest that anyone would recommend?

Thanks,

Ona

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
24. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

Palmach Museum - a very well-done exhibit. A worthwhile museum to visit. There have been other threads about it in the Tel Aviv forum -- use the search function to see what others have written.

Eretz Bereisheit - went there once with my son, but he got sick and we had to leave a few minutes after arriving, so I can't comment. Seemed like a very nice way to get a feel for how our ancestors lived. Anyone else been there (and stayed more than 15 minutes)?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
25. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

Anon wrote suggesting you go to Marvad HaKsamim--excellent choice. I wasn't sure if they were still open in that Hechel Shlomo site. ( they have a store closer to town and I think, they are also now open on Emek Refain.

There are also a number of take-out places in Geulah. Not as fancy as the mall, but probably a lot cheaper and the few I've tried have been excellent. I don't know names, but be prepared to be surrounded by mobs.

reviews: 31
26. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

Marvad HaKsamim are definitely open in Hechal Shlomo. I use them every Friday. Would be lost without them.

canada
27. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

thanks anon, do you know if they have a web site so that i can check them out?

has anyone heard of a place called "tchil tchellet" just outside jerusalem? any feedback?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
28. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

Ptil Tchelet is an organization that promotes the re-introduction of what is beleived to be the original blue "tchelet" used on tzitzit (the ritual fringes that Jews are commanded to place on the corners of their garments). They have a strong argument to support the theory that the original snail from which this dye is derived is the Murex Trunculus snail, and in their factory in Kfar Adumim (near Jerusalem), they have established a factory where they process the dye from snails and dye wool.

They also have a site near Hof Dor where the snails are harvested. You can go there and snorkel for the snails. This is only open seasonally.

We took a tour of both sites last Pesach and found it fascinating! There are lots of English tours available, and tours need to be booked ahead of time.

I'd definitely recommend this tour, especially for observant Jews and/or chemists [I am both, so I found this doubly fascinating ;-) ]. It's great for kids as well as adults.

Maryland
reviews: 39
29. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

Definitely Bet Guvrin- if you can get there. I am not sure you can without a car. We had people of all ages at the dig and everyone loved it.

Hotel meals are really expensive- because the buffets have so much on them. you are much better off buying food before Shabbat.

Also there are plenty of places that are kosher and reasonable when you are traveling around and are willing to eat in a small, not fancy place- esp if you eat falafel, schwarma, pizza, etc.

Israel has changed so much- you will not believe it.

The younger kids did not go to Yad Vashem on our tour- they went to the Biblical Zoo instead. The new Yad Vashem is a must, though and the tunnel tour by the Kotel.

reviews: 31
30. Re: family vacation to jerusalem in february

www.marvad-haksamim.co.il/HTMLs/Home.aspx