We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recent developments in Israel

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
reviews: 6
recent developments in Israel

we leave next week for Israel with our 2 children. Our plan was to go to the north, Jerusalem, dead sea and masada, eilat , day trip to petra, fly back to tel aviv- do you think given recent events this all makes sense??

Since we are not on a guided tour and driving ourselves, is there a phone number to call to check about security conditions. I know that when our teenage daughter went, the tour group checked every day to see if they needed to modify their itinerary-- is there a resource for independent travelers to check on current security conditions??

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 33
1. Re: recent developments in Israel

You'll stay at hotels and they'll have an idea what is going on. Otherwise you can check with the Police. Most hotels have multi channel TV so you can follow. Although TV mostly makes it look so bad.

Jerusalem, Israel
2. Re: recent developments in Israel

Unless you are planning to include a visit to Aza, you'll be fine.

Concerning other recent developments, this time in Jerusalem - Anon & I met this morning for lunch at a *new* place called VELKA Coffee & Kitchen, located at #5 Ibn Shaprut - one block up from Rehov Diskin, off Keren Kayemet, just below Ussishkin, between Karen Kayemet & Ramban Streets (in Rehavia) - yes, it's a little tricky to find, but well worth the effort. We both had the "make your own" salad - choose your lettuce, 3 veggies, cheese, topping, dressing and sides (I had the egg salad) along with fabulous homemade breads and butter. They are open Sun-Thu 8AM-7PM and on Fri 8AM-2PM (closed Shabbat). The ingredients were fresh and crisp, the dressing yummy and, as I said, the bread was fabulous - okay, Anon had the olive bread and since, while I live in the Middle East, I'm not a fan of olives, I had a couple of slices from a simple whole wheat loaf. And the orange juice was cold and freshly squeezed. Along with good conversation and lots of smiles (thanks Anon for the encouragement), it was a great morning!

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
3. Re: recent developments in Israel

Go and have a great time. As Shoshi said hotels have information, the police have information and their is always the Jerusalem Post, ( on line and hard copy) Arutz 7 ( online) Ynet ( online) These are all Israeli news sources. Unfortunately Israeli English news on the radio and TV is spotty. There is CNN, BBC, FOX, SKYNews etc. but these are not Israeli and they have their own agenda.

(btw, I am NOT just sending you and staying in NY) I was there all last summer and I leave July 4 for this summer's trip!

reviews: 31
4. Re: recent developments in Israel

No place in your itinerary is influenced by the mayhem which is going on in Gaza. I don't want to sound callous, but amongst the recent development in Israel we list having finally the right president - we hope for some degree of sanity to rule in Gaza but life in the places you mentioned goes on as normal. Thanks to you, Suzanne, I had a good time too.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 112
5. Re: recent developments in Israel

I add to the chorus -- though you are hearing from Israelis, who obviously are the best sources. But if I were going to Israel this weekend, the events in Gaza would not even be a blip on my screen. You'll be no where near Gaza. It would be like not going to San Francisco because of disturbances in Monterey, where you have a border and security fence between Monterey and San Francisco.

Go, and have fun!

Douglas Duckett

6. Re: recent developments in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 03, 2009