We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Erding
Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

I can't decide between a stay in Bezalel Street (private lodging) and the New Imperial Hotel. I'm 25, female, which would be the best choice considering safety, possible night outs (but not necessarily), grocery shopping etc.? I'm going for a month, so it's important.

Also, does anyone know if there are tour guide offers at the hotel?

thank you!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 41
1. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

Bezalel Street is fine. For tours and tour guides search the forum. You can join in organized tours by Zion Tours (next to Jaffa gate on the left). Are you staying the whole month in Jerusalem?

Erding
2. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

Yes, I'm staying for a month. At both places I was offered a pretty good deal, so I can't decide.

The place in Bezalel is definitely quieter, since they're apartments and it's not a hostel. But on the other hand I thought living in the Old City would be somehow more appropriate in a city like this.

So is the actual "city" located more in Bezalel area?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 141
3. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

I don't know Bezalel, but as long as you're not far from the Old City, I don't think staying in the Old City is such a good idea. Many people don't feel comfortable walking around in the Old City at night, though it's not a dangerous place.

Douglas Duckett

reviews: 29
4. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

Yes, the actual western city is more located in the Bezalel area and there you have busses, supermarket, and you are also near the wonderful market. I live near there and so do many others.

Erding
5. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

Thank you all for your answers. I think I will choose the Bezalel location. Though, as I see from the map, the New Imperial Hotel is located right at the edge of the Old City, so I wouldn't have to walk through the whole Old City at night.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 39
6. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

Just to add in: I would definitely vote for Bezalel St. If you are there for a whole month it will be much nicer to live in a regular residential area (and I would not walk around the old city alone at night). Plus even if your hotel is near the edge of the old city, it's still a bit of a way into the main part of town, and annoyingly out of the way for many regular amenities.

Avigail

7. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 pm, April 19, 2007
Erding
8. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

Thank you guys, I'm definitely taking Bezalel now!

Texas
reviews: 5
9. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

Hi, How did you find the Bezalel lodging. I want to go to Jerusalem in December with my mother and my husband and would prefer "non hotel" and something with character. However due to mom's age (80+), need somewhere convenient to touring, eating and general services. Would prefer accommodations that have small kitchen, living area with sleeper sofa or two bedrooms. Need to be clean, quiet and comfortable. Is this to much to ask for less than $200 per night?

Thanks for any suggestions.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 41
10. Re: Accommodation in the Old City or City Center?

There were several posts on apartments in Jerusalem. Just search the forum. 200$ would be fine for a nice place.