We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

Which Dead Sea Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 41
Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

I am taking a very quick trip to Israel w my husband arriving April 5 around 10 am (Thursday) and departing the following Wednesday April 10 also in the morning. I know we will only be able to scratch the surface of Israel, but I know that I want to spend 2 -3 days in Jerusalem.

I want to visit Petra and wonder if it would be best to go directly from the Tel Aviv airport to the dead sea Israel area. Please advise driver fares and time/distance. I figure we will arrive early enough to enjoy a full sea day.

The following day, I want to make the trek to Petra from Israel's dead sea. What is the best/quickest way to do so? Spend a full day in Petra and back to Israel that evening. I assume, we would come back to Eliat and fly to Tel Aviv, drive to Jerusalem the following day.

Please help! It is our first trip to the area. and Petra, Dead Sea and Jerusalem are the must do's on our itinerary, even if we are blasting through the area. We don't care to take public transportation and don't mind paying a premium for private travel if it is quality, safe and gets us to and from our destinations faster.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
1. Re: Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

Sarah--this has been discussed in your other thread. The Dead Sea is NOT a place to lay on the beach and lounge. It is a rocky beach and the water is a 10 minute float and that is that--plus figure another 20 minutes playing with the mud. You could go to a spa and get spa treatments if you want--but to just stay by the beach all day is not realistic.

A taxi from the airport to the Dead Sea is expensive. It will run approx. $ 265. ( in shekels) There are no taxis waiting by the sea so you would have to make arrangements for one to be there---and I do not know if a random taxi from the airport wants to drive to Eilat.

The only way to go to Petra is via the border crossing in Eilat. It will take time to go form the Dead Sea area to Eilat and then cross over. Your best bet would be to spend the night before in Eilat and hook up with a tour company to cross over for a day trip. Again, a one day trip is premium. Yes, you would then fly back to TLV ( the airport) or Sde Boker--a small domestic airport located near the city of Tel Aviv. Note: it is preferable that you fly back to TLV.

The TLV airport is located midway between the city of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. If you flew back to TLV you would just take a sherut or taxi to the city of Jerusalem for the night. There is no need to go to Tel Aviv the city, for the night.

It would probably be better to hire a private guide who drives. THis way you do not have to worry where to go and how to get there. That person would also be with you the whole time. Note; an Israeli guide can not guide in Jordan--so you would still need to make separate arrangements--but the guide could do it for you. In addition to the salary of the guide, you would be responsible for their room and board while on the road

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 1
2. Re: Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

Hi!

First, you may want to respond at your other thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293983-i2582-k623…

I have not much to add to rdglady's post, except that:

* Dead Sea area has some sights such as Masada national park (a UN world heritage site) and Ein Gedi reserve.

* Due to the limitations of transit and luggage, you are advised to tour the Dead Sea as a day-trip from Jerusalem.

* The airport in northern Tel Aviv is "Sde Dov" code SDV (not Sde Boker - rdglady - I'm sure you know this and it just "slipped"..). Anyway, flights to Ben Gurion are usually cheaper than Sde Dov.

North Carolina
reviews: 41
3. Re: Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

Thank you both for the responses! I've taken notes and am sitting down to re-prioritize the itinerary right now.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
4. Re: Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

Amos--yup--thanks for the correction. ( teach me to be online as Shabbat gets closer and closer--and yes, obviously I am, at this moment in NYC)

New York
5. Re: Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

Sarah ...this is how I did it when I was in Israel last July. So you have approximately a week in Israel. Soon as you arrive go straight to Jerusalem, Take the Sherrut at the airport $12 to your hotel. I booked with Abraham hostels ...they can organize your tours including the Petra tour.

Yes, a day in the Dead Sea is way much. Half a day tours are available @ $35. Check with Abraham Hostels tours. There are also day tours which include the Dead Sea.

Reserve a day to travel to Eilat (by bus $25 (4-5 hrs) from Jerusalem along the Dead sea. It is practical to take the bus, as you have to travel at least an hour to Tel Aviv and then wait for your hour-long flight to Eilat.

Book a day or two -Petra tour then fly out of Eilat to catch your flight home.

Hope you will find this useful.

Amman, Jordan
6. Re: Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

Hello Sarah,

As rdglady/Destination Expert for Israel said a private guide who drives is the best choice and this gives you more freedom and flexibility and in this way you do not have to worry where to go and how to get there.

You can arrange with a guide/driver to take you from the border to Petra and back, it's possible to find a reasonable price too.

Welcome to Jordan and good luck.

Omar

7. Re: Tel Aviv-Dead Sea Israel-Petra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 14, 2014