We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying water at masada?

Which Dead Sea Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
carrying water at masada?

This may be a stupid question... but we plan on going to masada in august (seeing the night show & climbing the snake path before sunrise) Our kids will be 13, 8 & 12 months. (Is it possible or hard to push a stroller up vs. carrying 25 pounder in a carrier in the heat)

Also I read each person should drink 2 liters of water. How do you suggest carrying all that water? The 13 year old will be fine, 8 year old will tire out. My husband will have to carry the baby, his water & Id have to carry my own plus for the baby. Do people really drag along 2 liters, or do they take a 1 liter & refill along the way (is there anywhere to do this?) Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Israel
reviews: 2
1. Re: carrying water at masada?

rajjeq, pushing a stroller up the snake path would be very, very difficult and I do not recommend. You would probably be the first person to try it.

I really don't think two liters of water is necessary for the hike up especially since you will be starting around sunrise. It is a short hike and popular. Even if something were to happen (for example you hurt your ankle) you are not going to die of thirst (there will be many people to help you). I would bring one Nalgene for each person (1 liter). At the top there are big water coolers where you can fill up.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 41
2. Re: carrying water at masada?

I suppose you can do the snake pass with a stroller, it will take you about an hour of slow climbing. Good for your 8 years old too. You should try to pull the stroller, not push it and one of you walk behind it. You could store your part of stuff in the stroller too. 1 liter per person of water is enough, there are collers on the top, bathrooms etc... It should be a hard-working stroller though.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 21
3. Re: carrying water at masada?

You can get backpack type carriers for large water bottles, or just put them in your backpack with all the other paraphenalia (sp?). I have a Samsonite gadget, one end hooks onto a belt loop, the other around a bottle neck, which is just right for a 1/2 liter water bottle, making it very accessible. Also, ask your hotel to put the water bottles in the freezer for you, so you will have refreshing cold water all morning.

Israel
4. Re: carrying water at masada?

Really shoshi? I did it twice times this past summer and if my memory serves there are a few rocky areas that would make pulling a stroller tough. Maybe with a 4X4 stroller :). I think it would be much, much easier to carry the 25 pound baby in some sort of baby back bag.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 141
5. Re: carrying water at masada?

I have to agree with that. I can't imagine trying to push or pull a stroller up that path, or worrying that if I lost my footing and slipped, the stroller could go plummeting down the hill.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
6. Re: carrying water at masada?

"twice times"? Where is the edit feature? Maybe I should proof read my posts :).

israel
Destination Expert
7. Re: carrying water at masada?

The road is not that bad. Pulling looks to me as the best choice, nit all the but in more difficult areas. Carring a 12 months baby in saome back carrier is worse. A baby of 12 months is heavy, I know, I have one that is 11 months this Saturday (grandson).

israel
Destination Expert
8. Re: carrying water at masada?

Another consideration is that you'll have the stroller in Massada, and you won't have to carry the baby.

Israel
9. Re: carrying water at masada?

I will disagree. You have a point about having the stroller at the top but getting up there could be dangerous. The stroller could easily catch on a rock and go flying down hill. Bad for baby, bad for parents. I have done a lot of hiking in my life and if I saw someone trying to pull a stroller up the snake path I would think they were a bit crazy. A young guy can easily carry a 25 pound baby on his back.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
10. Re: carrying water at masada?

I think the prior warnings on this thread were not strong enough so I'll chime in here.... DO NOT BRING A STROLLER ON THE SNAKE PATH! Ok, there, I feel better this New Year already.

There are numerous problems in taking a stroller. One, there are areas of the path that are quite narrow. Even the most well behaved child can be tempted to toss something out the stroller, over the side, and possibly hitting someone down the path. Maybe even dislodging a rock causing an injury. Farfetched? Yes, but very possible. Two, there are areas of the path in which you would have to carry the stroller. Very unsafe. Three, You may arrive up top physically exhausted making your visit very unfulfilling.

Do yourself and family a favor and seriously consider taking the tram. The kids will love the ride and will make the rest of your day all the more enjoyable.

Happy New Year (go Trojans!)

Dr. Z

Get answers to your questions about Dead Sea Region