We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ramon crater

olney, maryland
reviews: 1
ramon crater

As part of our trip to Israel, we plan to wake up early, leave Kibbutz Ein Gedi, drive down to the Ramon Crater and take a jeep ride or camel ride, and then drive up to Tel Aviv where we will check into our hotel.

Is this too much to do in one day? How long will this take us? Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

Tali

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
reviews: 3
1. Re: ramon crater

Hi Tali

The drive from Ein Gedi to Machtesh Ramon will take about 1 hour and 45 minutes. The drive from Machtesh Ramon to Tel Aviv will take about 2 hours. The short Jeep tours in the Machtesh take 2.5 hours, there is also a 4 hour option. Camel rides can be organized along the way and last about 1 hour.

The Machtesh is a fantastic area and well worth the effort. If you need any help organizing this part of the trip please contact me.

Adam

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
2. Re: ramon crater

I think it is too much. By the time you reach Mizpe Ramon and have the jeep ride it will be 1600 or later. You can stay the night there (see my hotel report on a B&B called Orange Spot for bugjet acommodation). There is a Alpaca farm and some other activites. The weather is nice in the evening. The day after you can drive to Tel Aviv with a few stops on the way like the Ben Gurion hut and grave (2 different places), and Abdat. Another place can be the Airforce museum near Beer-Sheva, and on to Tel Aviv. If you need more information on this route just ask.

israel
Destination Expert
3. Re: ramon crater

How old are your kids? I understood they are traveling with you. There is another intersting museum, the Ayalon Institute in Rehovot, displaying the arms produced by pre-Independence Israel.

olney, maryland
4. Re: ramon crater

Our kids are a 13 year old girl and a 15 year old boy -- their first time in Israel. We would really only have that one day to get down to the Ramon Crater and we need to be in Tel Aviv that night. What if we left Kibbutz Ein Gedi by 9 a.m. or a little earlier? Could we enjoy the Ramon Crater area for about 4 hours and then head to Tel Aviv? It will be in August, so I know it will be hot. Is the only way to see the crater by jeep? Do you recommend the camel ride instead, or will that be too hot? Also, would we just leave our suitcases in the car while visiting the Ramon Crater, or would that be too hot for our things as well? Thanks so much for your ideas!

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
5. Re: ramon crater

If you leave Ein Gedi by 09.00 you should reach Machtesh Ramon by 11.00.

Summer temps in the Machtesh peak at around 14.00 and are 35 celcius in the shade but the heat is very dry making it much more comfortable than Ein Gedi or even Tel Aviv for that matter. Most people don't realize it but the town of Mitzpe Ramon on the edge of the Machtesh Ramon is actually higher above sea level than Jerusalem making this little desert town one of Israel's most bearable summer retreats. The Floor of the Machtesh is around 550 meters above sea level !!

There are many hiking trips in the Machtesh but I would not do them in the midday heat. There are no camel rides in the Machtesh and if you want to see and learn about the Machtesh in a short time then the guided Jeep tours are the way to go. Most of the Jeep companies have air conditioned SUVs and even without aircon if you are out of the sunthe windows are open and the air circulating the heat is very bearable.

Relative to Ein Gedi the Ramon Machtesh will seem "cool".

Adam

olney, maryland
6. Re: ramon crater

This sounds great. Is there a particular tour company you recommend for a short jeep ride? Do we have to make reservations in advance? Thanks for letting me know.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
7. Re: ramon crater

Tali - you have private message regarding this post.

Adam

israel
Destination Expert
8. Re: ramon crater

Tali - please tell us how the jeep ride was. It will be the first post with this kind of information.

olney, maryland
9. Re: ramon crater

I will definitely post all the details of our trip when we get back. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts, and I am sure I will have a lot more questions as time gets closer to August, when we are off to Israel.

10. Re: ramon crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 27, 2009