We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ein gedi beach

Which Israel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gothenburg, Sweden
Ein gedi beach

Hi, we are a family of 5 planning to visit Israel in october. Finally have the opportunity to go back after 20 years :)!!!!! We are planning a dead sea trip from jerusalem and have done some research here on the forum. We have reed a few comments about ein gedi beach that says it is difficult to enter the sea. We dont really understand what this means. What exactly makes the entrance to the sea difficult? Another question; is ein gedi beach in walking distance from ein gedi nationsl park? Is there s bus stop close? Thanks! / madelene

15 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
1. Re: Ein gedi beach

The Dead Sea water has receded greatly over the past years so that the shore line is now quite a distance from the entrance to the beach - that is most of what is being referred to by these comments.

If you are considering the public beach at Ein Gedi you may want to consider Mineral Beach - there is an admission fee, however, the beach is nicely kept up and there is a comfortable path leading down to the water.

No - the beach is not within walking distance from the National Park - there is a bus stop both at the beach (all the beaches) and the National Park.

Keep in mind that if you will be using the bus you need to make sure you have checked schedules and that you are at the stop about 10 minutes before the stated time. The bus may come early and will not wait for the time on the schedule - you want to make sure you don't miss your bus and then will be stuck in the hot sun for an hour or more.

Edited: 11:38 am, May 30, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
2. Re: Ein gedi beach

The Ein Gedi beach definitely is within walking distance of the National Park. From the park go out to the highway and turn right. It is about a kilometer or so along the busy highway and takes about 15 minutes to walk. This public beach has showers, towel and locker rental and washrooms. There is a gas station type of restaurant next to the highway. There is no 'beach' here though, it is a mud and rocky access point to the water. Access to the water here is awkward. You can walk right up to the waters edge but to get into the water there is a drop off. Last time I was there it was about a meter. You have to climb in and out. Given that you don't want to get splashed and get water in your eyes or mouth, and if you have any scratches that will sting upon entering, this might not be the choice for you. I you have children, it definitely is not a good choice.

As Oreets suggested, Mineral Beach, further north and not in walking distance, would be the better choice.

Further south is the Ein Gedi Spa which has many more amenities (here they have a full service cafeteria which is not available in Ein Gedi or at Mineral Beach) which might be a consideration if you have hungry teens with you. It is more expensive but has much better change facilities, toilets, and the like than either Mineral beach or the public beach.

The trick will be the transportation aspect. With 5 people you will need to rely on the bus. Check out the timing of the buses. It is doable.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 36
3. Re: Ein gedi beach

It is about 1km between the national park and the beach. Not impossible theoretically to walk but not recommended as it's an unshaded road on which pedestrians are not expected by oncoming traffic who may be driving fast. Re the beach, unless you have mobility restrictions you will have no problem getting to the water. It's fine if all you are looking for is a short dip. There are showers and toilets for a small fee, which were being renovated when I last visited. The main disadvantage of ein gedi as opposed to other beaches is that there isn't really a beach, just a thin stony strip next to the water, there is no mud, and the facilities are a bit barren. However the cost difference could be significant with 5 of you.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
4. Re: Ein gedi beach

I have walked that strip between the National Park and Ein Gedi beach while staying at the Youth Hostel and I agree with avigailchaya that it is definitely unshaded, very, very hot, there is no sidewalk so cars are coming fast, you do have to be heads up and careful if you are walking it. I haven't been there in over a year so it is likely the water receded more and is back from the drop off now but the 'beach' certainly doesn't sound like it has changed. The 'mud' I referred to is not the therapeutic mud people smear on their skin, it is just the wet dirt and rocks that are on the edge of the waterline. If you want the therapeutic mud, you would have to buy it and bring it with you to use there. Some people do this. The advantage of going here other than it being so close to the national park is that it is 'dirt' cheap- especially for 5.

Gothenburg, Sweden
5. Re: Ein gedi beach

Hi, thank you all so much for your answers. I think we have a preety good idea now about ein gedi beach and what it´s like. I really does not sound like a very nice place for a dip in the dead sea. The advantage is that it´s close to ein gedi natural park as you say. As I understand from you anmejoshme and avigailchaya the walk between the park and beach is not recommended, specially not with children - eventhou they are not so young (8,11,13). So, we will look up your other recommendations - the mineral beach and ein gedi spa - and will make a dicision mostly out of possiblitys of public transportation and of cours, admission fee.

Thanks oreets for your recommendation according the bus. I don´t want to hang around in a hot "desert" with three tiered and hungry kids...:).

According transportation - is it the same bus that stops at both ein gedi spa, mineral beach and the national park? Is it correct to think it is the bus between jerusalem and eilat that is the one to go with.

//Madelene

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
6. Re: Ein gedi beach

>>is it the same bus that stops at both ein gedi spa, mineral beach and the national park? Is it correct to think it is the bus between jerusalem and eilat that is the one to go with. <<

Yes, it's the same bus. There are more buses from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi and the southern Dead Sea area (Neveh Zohar) than there are to Eilat. But yes, any of those buses will do.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 36
7. Re: Ein gedi beach

Another option to consider is the public beach at Ein Bokek. It is a bit further to travel (though it is exactly the same buses to get between any of these places so there is no one that is more convenient in that sense) - but it is free and a much nicer beach than at ein gedi. Ein Gedi spa has the advantage of a freshwater pool that might be nice for your kids and also places to put mud on and shower it off. Re buses - the Neve Zohar ones are more frequent and also the timing may be more predictable especially returning to Jerusalem as you will be near the beginning of the route.

Gothenburg, Sweden
8. Re: Ein gedi beach

Hi, thank you som much all of you! You have been very helpful. Since we want a good experience and not just one qiuck dip in the sea, and when the advantage of walking between ein gedi park and the beach is not an option, we have decided that ein gedi might not be what we are looking for. We are thinking of the mineral beach since it looks nice and with an admission a bit less than ein gedi spa.

Do they have the therapeutic mud in the mineral beach?

//M

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
9. Re: Ein gedi beach

Mineral Beach has a constantly replenished supply of mud right near the water's edge.

Gothenburg, Sweden
10. Re: Ein gedi beach

Great, thanks!

Reply to: Ein gedi beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted