We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halal Restaurants

Which Israel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 3
Halal Restaurants

Hi everyone,

I understand I might not get a lot of responses but any recommendations or directions would be appreciated for Halal restaurants in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem please.

Thank you

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
1. Re: Halal Restaurants

Didn't you ask this question before?

<<I am looking for recommendations for the best Mehadrin restaurants in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem please.>>

We don't usually see people ask for both Mehadrin and Halal restaurants. You are a person of the world :)

Although I can't speak to individual restaurants, many restaurants in East Jerusalem and in particular, the Moslem Quarter of the Old City should serve Halal.

Some of the smaller Arab restaurants in Jaffa might be Halal, not up on the hill, but more around the flea market area where the owners are Arabs, many of whom are Moslem. A lot of these places don't advertise, are just really small, have terrific food and regular clientele.

Edited: 11:34 pm, February 14, 2013
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
reviews: 41
2. Re: Halal Restaurants

All the middle-range / fast food restaurants along Sultan Suleiman / Nablus Road (Damascus Gate area) are halal, to the best of my knowledge.

High-end Arab restaurants do not tend to have Halal signs, but they are often "Halal-style" - i.e. no pork. You would have to ask if the meat in these restaurants is properly Halal if this is important.

Further to anmejoshme's comments, while many Arabs in Jaffa are Muslim, many are Christian, so I'd never assume that a restaurant is Halal - you'd need to ask.

Birmingham, United...
3. Re: Halal Restaurants

Thank you anmejoshme.

I asked for Mehadrin restaurants due to the level of observance of my friends (and myself) who I would like to take out to dinner. Where as I could eat in both Mehadrin and halal restaurants they could not eat in both. In Tel Aviv there is only the dairy option for me and I have searched and searched on the Internet but cannot find any Halal restaurant recommendations, the same in Jerusalem.

Thank you very much PRSV for your directions and the important point you mentioned about making sure by asking. As I would only find halal food in Arab Muslim restaurants. So I definitely would have to double check and in the process I'm going to compile a list as reference for others.

Much appreciated

Edited: 3:43 am, February 15, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
4. Re: Halal Restaurants

When you are in Jerusalem if you go to the Damascus Gate area there are loads and loads of Arab Muslims. ( there are Arab Muslims all over Jerusalem, but this is a big concentration) Buy a drink and ask the store-keeper. You may find a hidden gem that no one here knows exists!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
5. Re: Halal Restaurants

Restaurants in Jaffa owned by Arabs are probably Halal, e.g. the Haj Khail restaurants (there are several), the most famous is the one at the Clock Tower). Do you need a Halal approved place? All Kosher restaurants observe the rules (even a bit more like no mixing of meat and milk). I know that years ago Moslems ate at these restaurants.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
6. Re: Halal Restaurants

Shoshi, when this topic came up I did a Google search to find out whether a halal-observant Muslim could eat in a kosher restaurant. I learnt that as with Jews there are varying degrees of observance. Just as some Jews are less strict and will eat in a restaurant that claims to be kosher but doesn't have an official certificate, and others will eat only in mehadrin (stricter) kosher restaurants, so it is with Muslims. A strictly observant Muslim will not eat in a kosher restaurant, not because of the food itself but for other reasons concerned with religious belief.

You can read what I found here:

soundvision.com/info/…halal.kosher.asp

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
7. Re: Halal Restaurants

The OP said that she eats at Mehadrin and Halal, so I just followed. I have never seen a certificate in a restaurant indicationg is it halal. I eat at restaurants owned by Moslems quite often.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 99
8. Re: Halal Restaurants

Shoshi just like kosher certification worlwide is in Hebrew, Halal certification would in Arabic. Unless you read that language its a good chance you never noticed the certificate.

Chana

Israel

Birmingham, United...
9. Re: Halal Restaurants

I would like to thank you for your wonderful and informative answers. This forum never seizes to amaze me because the information covers everyone. I was not brought up around a Muslim community and the process I have been through researching this issue and then contacting a Rabbi and Sheikh I should have just asked here and then gone to the Rabbi and Sheikh it would been so much quicker so thank you all once again.

There is difference when we are taking about a butchers and a restaurant. When it comes to restaurants it comes down to the preparation where no alcohol should be mixed with the food. For example in Europe and the United States 10/20 years ago there were hardly any halal butchers. Under such circumstances Muslims are permitted to buy from kosher butchers and they did and I am sure they still do. If they have the choice to buy from a Mehadrin butchers this is even better, as Shuffaluff said this is due to religious reasons and observance the same as in Judaism.

Personally for example if I went to a Arab restaurant and I thought the owner was pardon the pun "telling me a porky" and I was unsure it was a halal restaurant I would choose to eat in a Mehadrin restaurant. We now live in a age of choice so it not as if Muslims can't find halal or Mehadrin restaurant but if they choose not to that is their personal choice which they are free to exercise.

Here is a halal food sign in Arabic and English

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=halal+food+sign+in+arab+restaurant&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PTEeUdWSJqKH4gS6pYEI&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=401#i=4

Thank you all once again

10. Re: Halal Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:39 pm, February 15, 2013