We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

Which Israel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

Im trying to compile a list of usefull phrases in both Arabic and Hebrew for my trip to Israel. Ideally Id like to find a website that shows the phonetic spelling of the phrases in both Hebrew and Arabic so I can try to learn them.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
1. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

Jodo, while I am impressed with your enthusiasm, you really don't need to. Most people in Israel speak at least some English.

And you may be able to learn how to ask a question, but not how to understand the answer! "Excuse me, where is the bus station?" Very nice, you've got it word perfect. Then the person gabbles something which of course you don't understand... (This is the same problem one has when using phrase books.)

Millions of tourists manage just fine in Israel without knowing a single word of Hebrew or Arabic.

I suggest that if you have any special needs, such as foods you can't eat, or if there's something particular you want to buy, and it's a bit obscure so you might be misunderstood, you show a picture of the item.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

Hi Jodokast,

I can't find any phonetic websites but if you go to YouTube and type in

Hebrew Vs Arabic with Maha

you will hear her lessons for both languages.

Alternatively you can find individual Hebrew lessons on there which I use and are great.

I am sure the same is for Arabic.

Hope it helps

Have a great time.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
3. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

These are incredible websites for this.......

www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hebrew.php

www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/arabic.php

Click on the corresponding Hebrew or Arabic phrase , turn up the volume, and go for it!

Dr. Z

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 1
4. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

Since you won't understand what's said in reply, then I suggest to concentrate on gesture words (hello,bye,thank you etc..

I googled "Hebrew phrases" and it came up with this:

www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hebrew.php

Edit: After posting my post I saw the Dr. Z and I posted at the same time the same website!

Edited: 2:56 pm, February 05, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
5. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

Drill-n-fill, I had a look at the “incredible” Hebrew website. I couldn’t get the sound to work at all. It wouldn’t open on my computer.

I have to say it’s incredibly useless as a guide to pronunciation, and marginally less useless as a guide to usage.

Ma shlomex? Anyone would assume that the second word ends with an X sound, right? Absolutely wrong. It’s a “ch” as in German, or Scottish “loch”.

The same sound is transliterated as “kh” in “ma shimkha” a few lines down.

And the same sound – or at least pronounced as the same sound by everyone except some immigrants from oriental countries who do distinguish between them – is “ch” in “achar tzahara'im tovim”.

And where do you put the stress on each of these words?

In all my decades of living in Israel I have never heard anyone say the phrase given for “long time no see”.

“bevakasha” to attract attention? Um, no. (It means “please”). And never mind how a complete beginner would try to get his/her tongue around this word, never having heard it. The stress is on the final syllable, but if you didn’t know you would never guess.

I rest my case!

I don’t speak Arabic, but assuming the Arabic website is from the same source it must be equally useless.

The choice of phrases - scroll to the end - is an indication that the whole thing is no more than a joke.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
6. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

Why are you criticizing the pronunciation of the words and phrases when you mention that you can't even hear them !!!!

Too funny.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 34
7. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

After your comments shuffaluff I had to go look at this site and all I can say is

Oy vey!! (granted not Hebrew - but very appropriate).

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 11
8. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

I love the last phrase on that site: "My hovercraft is full of eels"

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
9. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

I'm criticizing the way they are written, obviously.

Since it is so difficult to open - even if I could get it to work, each one has to be opened separately, no instant click to hear it as you can with some sites (I don't necessarily mean Hebrew phrase sites) - who will go to all the trouble, when they +think+ they can figure out how it's pronounced by the way it is transliterated?

Fail.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 11
10. Re: Trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic for my trip

Here is another site:

http://www.in-hebrew.co.il/