We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying fuel for the car in Israel

Which Israel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paragon
reviews: 44
Buying fuel for the car in Israel

I have much appreciated the "Driving in Israel" thread. Now as I have caught up on my reading there today I see posts about buying fuel and I THINK (for myself...and probably some others who have not experienced this) that a whole new thread could be devoted to teaching folks (such as myself) about the "ins and outs" of fueling up a vehicle while in Israel. I would be very, very thankful for all info and tips. Thank you in advance.

Kathy

32 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
1. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

1) When you pick up the car, note which side the gas tank is on. Otherwise, if you guess, it will for sure be on the other side.

2) When you put in your credit card in the pump, the pump asks for your Teudat Zehut. Only Israelis have this ID. You have to get a bypass number from the attendant. They may or may not be willing to give it to you. They always ask you just to bring your card into the cashier. However, if you are persistent, they will give you the bypass number. Then it asks for your license plate. You don't have to put that in, there is a bypass for that part. All the instructions are in Hebrew.

3) If you fill with a foreign credit card there may be a 200NIS limit which may not fill your tank.

4) The easy way to do this is to go into the cashier, give them cash or your credit card and say you want a fill, they will release the pump so you fill, then go back in and they will give you change and a receipt or will then run your card and give you a receipt.

There are still full serve stations in Israel which is the easiest way.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 100
2. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

Be ready to pay 8.25 shekels per liter. A full tank of an average car will be over 300 shekels, so in light of the 200 shekel limit at Israeli gas stations with a foreign credit card, I suggest keeping to the half a tank rule. Once you are under half a tank of gas, fill up. The 200 limit will cover this (unless you are driving a mini van or larger vehicle or a vehicle that runs on Diesel fuel which is more expensive).

Chana

Israel

Belfast, United...
reviews: 39
3. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

anmejoshme, my experience was end of June and my memory is not what it used to be but I filled up twice. The first time was at a filling station on the road from Metula to Tiberias. I put my credit card in and didn't understand so went into the station and the lady said I had to push a button at the pump and she would direct me and release the pump. I did this and she said the pump was released, fill and come in and pay which I did with no problems.

The second time was at the airport which didn't have anyone at a till in a station it looked like card only. I wanted to pay by cash as I had a lot of it and was going home. I asked a girl in uniform on the forecourt and she said no problem paying with cash and she would fill the car. I handed over notes which were in excess of the amount. She started counting out my change in coins and I ended up with a bag full of coins about 60 shekels worth. I asked her about notes and she said she didn't understand. I was in a hurry to get the car back so just took all the coins. My advice is pay by card, I have no idea if I got the correct change as I didn't count it.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
4. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

Self-serve works slightly differently in every station. I have ( with the help of attendants) put in my card, put in 123456789 for my "ID" number and fueled. I have had to give the card to the person inside, I have given cash to the person inside and I have been lazy and let the attendant pump for me. ( it costs a alittle more) Bottom line, you pull into the station and figure it out. People are always willing to help.

AND 8.24 a liter is about $8.25 a gallon--I once did all the shekel to $ conversions and liter to gallon conversions and found out that it is roughly the same number. All I know, it helps me keep American gas prices in perspective--and I am in NYC where gas is way above the national average.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
5. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

I think that rdglady is most accurate in that in each station it works a bit differently. Some stations have the ID of 11111 or 9999999 or 1234567, I got all three while I was there, no rhyme or reason. The long and short of it is, just pull into the station and one way or another (and 5 mintues later) you will be refueled and on your way.

Helers_8, your post just goes to show that while places may have different protocols, there are always those willing to help out and make it easier for us tourists. You will have to return to Israel to spend all those extra coin shekels if you didn't get a chance in the airport.

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
6. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

8.25 NIS / liter converts to about $2 CAN / liter right? Wow that is high since right now we pay about $1.25 where I live.

Am I to understand that in Israel you are allowed to pump the gas first and pay the attendant later? In BC its the opposite and we have to pay first before the pump is released.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 23
7. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

In Israel, if you haven't managed to get the machine to read your card (!), you pump first, and then pay.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 23
8. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

By the way, when you pick up a rental car, make sure that it is full of fuel. When you bring it back, you need to refill it beforehand, otherwise you get charged a huge amount for the rental company to fill it up. Note that you can fill the car up about 15-30 minutes driving distance before the airport, and the car will stil be considered "full".

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
9. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

There are more and more stations now that have a sign up indicating that if you want to pay cash you need to pay first and only then will they release the pump, this includes self-serve, so unless you are swiping your credit card, you will have to pay first.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 135
10. Re: Buying fuel for the car in Israel

This is enormously helpful -- I'm going to make it a FAQ.

Douglas Duckett

Reply to: Buying fuel for the car in Israel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted