We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel recommendations and shopping?

Which Israel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
the big blue marble
reviews: 21
hotel recommendations and shopping?

You have been great so far, and yes I will order a book from Amazon, just frustrated at not being able to flip through several and make a choice on my own. In the meantime:

1) Do you have any hotels in TA and Jer. that you recommend? We are more the small boutique hotel kind of travelers and would prefer to spend under 200E/nite.

2) I bought a handwoven tallis in Jaffa when I was there as a teen. My daughter is being Bat Mitzvahed next year and I'd like to buy another. I remember it as being a workshop for the blind. Ring any bells for anyone? thx again. s

reviews: 31
1. Re: hotel recommendations and shopping?

As per boutique hotels, Douglas recommends...but I'll let him do this by himself. I recommend the De La Mer in Tel Aviv and the Eldan in Jerusalem. You might also consider the Alon Apartments in the center of Jerusalem (http://www.jerusalem-apartments.co.il/) or a B&B in the German Colony (also Jerusalem).

Enjoy !!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 112
2. Re: hotel recommendations and shopping?

Phread, as you know from my guide, I recommend the Melody Hotel in Tel Aviv, a 34-room hotel right on the seaside main drag. But it is undergoing a renovation and expansion (3 more floors), and is closed from December 2005 through at least March 2006. I'm not sure when you're travelling, so that might not work. If it does not, I recommend the Cinema Hotel on Dizengoff -- very cool looking, restored Bauhaus-architecture building. Get a room off Dizengoff for noise control.

In Jerusalem, I recommend the Jerusalem Internation YMCA on King David Street. Not a "boutique," but no chain and gorgeous building. Rooms are a little run down, but it's still a great place and a great value.

Douglas Duckett