We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fire in ephesus

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
fire in ephesus

i saw the news last night and there is a fire in ephesus..anyone know about it?? thanks,

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 33
1. Re: fire in ephesus

Yes, unfortunately there was a fire near Selcuk, and luckily it stopped just near the virgin Mary's house near Selcuk. This fire is under control. It is still burning near Bodrum, recent days were so extremely hot in Turkey with temperatures rising over 40 degrees C.

Many tourists and locals were evacuated.

Lets hope it is all under control by now, very sad to see this kind of news and I was a witness of just a small forest fire here in Kaya Koy 2 years ago and it is frightening!

I think the Turkish are very well organised to get a quick control and stop the fire from spreading.

For all who come to Turkey a very nice holiday!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
reviews: 35
2. Re: fire in ephesus

Hi as it has been previous stated the weather has been very warm with high winds an there has been cautions stated by the forestry ministry asking people to be very careful when having picnics etc. Here is what the Turkish press has written.

Turkish Christian site saved from flames www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=138559

500 Hectares Of Forested Area Destroyed In The Past 3 Days

www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=138549

Turkish Environment & Forestry Ministry Forest Directorate General said fire broke out in 34 regions on August 19th, 43 on August 20th and 13 on August 21st throughout Turkey in the past 3 days. ''Fire in 89 regions could be taken under control,'' the ministry executives said.

The executives indicated that the fire which broke out on August 19th in Kas town of southern city of Antalya could not be taken under control because of the steep area and strong wind. ''Efforts are underway to take the fire under control,'' they noted.

The executives added that the fire which broke out in Izmir-Selcuk-Meryemana region at 2.40 p.m. on Sunday could be taken under control at 05.00 a.m. this morning, yet stated that 300 hectares of forested area was destroyed.

The executives said 20,763,248 hectares of Turkey (26 percent) of Turkey was covered with forests, indicating that 12,000 hectares of forested area was burnt in the past 10 years because of forest fires.

Forest Fires In Selcuk And Kusadasi

www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=138548

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
3. Re: fire in ephesus

now i am concerned. we are to be in kas town soon...did you say that there is a fire in kas as well???

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
4. Re: fire in ephesus

Hi again I had to add these links as well especially when most of these fires could have been prevented.

www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php…

www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php…

''Forestry Minister Osman Pepe said carelessness is the principal cause of forest fires and that 95 percent are caused by careless picnickers or villagers burning dried wood. The best method of fighting forest fires is prevention, he advised. “Unfortunately, the fires have destroyed 250-300 hectares of woodland. Over the coming weeks we will begin our efforts to re-forest the area,” Pepe added. ''

About Kas I will have to find out tomorrow and call a friend there. Don't be too concerned.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
5. Re: fire in ephesus

Hi I should have said be concerned about the damage of forests in the area. But not to panic. If you are going to Kas give the hotel a call before hand.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
6. Re: fire in ephesus

Hi again, I phoned a friend in Kas this morning to get more info about the situation. The fire is located about 1.5 hours away from Kas in a high area of the mountains. It is still burning but not visible from the city of Kas. Because of the remote location of the forest only planes can reach the fire. There are no roads up to the are making the contol of the fire more difficult.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 33
7. Re: fire in ephesus

This morning the Turkish CNN said that near Bodrum 700 hectares are burned, the fire is under control now.

Near Kas it is still burning, so far 500 hectares burned. This fire was caused by lightning earlier this week.

8. Re: fire in ephesus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 13, 2009