We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selcuk/Ephesus trip

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Karachi, Pakistan
reviews: 16
Selcuk/Ephesus trip

Visting IZMIR in June 2014 with family (3person). I woiuld be visiting for 2 days and then leaving for the coastal areas of Antalya. Have a few questions in mind

1. Should i stay in Izmir or Selcuk so as to visit the EPHESUS AND PAMMUKKALE.

2. What is better, renting a car or taking a guided tour for Ephesus and Paumukkale.

3. I found that renting a car would be cheaper than a trip with a touring company. If thats so, then do u think that i would need a guide to tell us about the these museums, arcaeology, and these sites. If yes, then are these available there once we reach EPHESUS

thanks for the help

7 replies to this topic
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
reviews: 35
1. Re: Selcuk/Ephesus trip

<<Should i stay in Izmir or Selcuk so as to visit the EPHESUS AND PAMMUKKALE.<<<

Stay in Selcuk..then after Selcuk you can take a bus or train to Pamukkale for 1 night then you can take a bus to Antalya after that

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
2. Re: Selcuk/Ephesus trip

There are guides at Ephesus but I don't know what they charge. I've been several times and never had a guide but I did buy a guide book before going!

The site is very straight forward and all the excavations are along a set pathway. You will probably park your car at the lower car park but exit at the upper car park. We didn't mind walking back through to the car but there are people there offering to move your car for you.

Karachi, Pakistan
3. Re: Selcuk/Ephesus trip

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

From Pamukkale I would have about 5-6 days to enjoy the coast line upto Antalya or Dalaman from whew I would go back to Istanbul.

I wad thinking renting a car and enjoy the coast line asking with some scenic beauty in the way. Could you please suggest what I can do between this route and how to make an itinerary in it

Thanks a lot

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
4. Re: Selcuk/Ephesus trip

To be honest I wouldn't worry about guides at either Ephesus or Pamukkale.

One thing to bear in mind when renting a car is that Turkey has the most expensive fuel in the world!

Antalya is an excellent base to allow you to explore this part of the coast. Also the airport is fairly close to the city with a good flight programme. From Antalya you can visit such places as Side, Cirali, Aspendos, Perge, Duden Waterfalls, Goynuk Canyon...... the list is long. Maybe browse the Antalya and Mediterranean Coast forums. The few suggestions I have given could all be visited very easily from Antalya on a daily basis. Kaleici (the old town) in Antalya city centre has a wide selection of hotels and restaurants plus has lots of streets to wander through, marina, Hadrian's Gate and beautiful Ottoman architecture.

Toronto
reviews: 6
5. Re: Selcuk/Ephesus trip

Stay in Izmir!

My wife and I did this trip in July 2013. Selcuk is a beautiful, very easy drive from the Izmir Airport, so rent a car and do the drive yourself. It's only about 1 hour from Izmir to Selcuk.

The Hotels are much nicer in Izmir.

Bucks
reviews: 2
6. Re: Selcuk/Ephesus trip

You can stay in Izmir and hop on a train to Selcuk for Ephesus.

Timetable here: tcdd.gov.tr/Upload/…bassokeayd.pdf

(Basmane = Izmir's main Basmane station)

7. Re: Selcuk/Ephesus trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, June 02, 2014

Reply to: Selcuk/Ephesus trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted