We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time and walking distance

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
reviews: 1
time and walking distance

We are spending three nights in Seluck this April. I am concerned about it being too much time. One day we will go to Miletus, Priene, and Didyma. We will also go to Ephesus and the Virgin Mary House.

1. So my question is: Should I shorten it a day?

2. Can we walk from Seluck to Ephesus and the Virgin Mary House?

New York City, New...
1. Re: time and walking distance

hi,

you can shorten your holıday ın selcuk,2 days will be enough because one day you can visit ephesus and virgin mary house the other day priene mıletus didyma.You cant walk ephesus and vırgın mary house you can go to ephesus with dolmus and for virgin mary house you must take a taxi.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 56
2. Re: time and walking distance

Gluten-freeYouandMe, there are many other attractions at Selcuk besides Ephesus. I would at least try to see Sirince village and St.John's Basilica at Selcuk. I would also give a day to the wonderful Aphrodisias, which is on par with Ephesus. Both the site and its museum is truly world class. I stayed at Selcuk for 4 days and thoroughly emjoyed my stay. Have a look at my very recent trip report. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…".

As an answer to your second question, no you can not walk that stretch from Ephesus to Virgin Mary because it is all uphill and is rather long. The best way to visit Virgin Marys House by rental car or you can hire a taxi from Selcuk for 60 TL, R/T, and he will wait for you at the Virgin marys place as long as you want.

good luck,

enigma...

Columbus, OH
reviews: 1
3. Re: time and walking distance

Thank you for your kind reponses.

Fairborn, Ohio
reviews: 21
4. Re: time and walking distance

I wouldn't shorten the time in Selcuk, personally, but it depends on how much you want to see...and I can't comment from experience on your other destinations though. We just came back from a trip there this past week. We spent ~6 hours exploring Ephesus and didn't try to fit anything else in that day as it was a lot of walking - but worth it! There is also St John's Basilica, Cave of the 7 Sleepers (didn't have time to stop by that), Artemis Temple, Isa Bey Mosque.

Definitely just do a taxi to the Virgin Mary's House as enigma2007 said, the driver will wait as long as you like and ours also stopped for us to see the large statue on the drive up. Even just from the Ephesus upper entrance, it's way too far and steep to walk comfortably!

As far as walking just to Ephesus from Selcuk, it depends on how much of a walker you are, and where your hotel is located. We took a taxi from the hotel, Hotel Kalehan (15 TL for the ride) and then after exiting at the lower entrance from Ephesus, decided to just walk back. Part way there, we regretted not just taking a taxi back. Don't know the distance, but after all day walking around the ruins it wore us out. So unless you're a hardcore daily walker, I'd just do a taxi back as well. Cheap and well worth it.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 98
5. Re: time and walking distance

Try taking the dolmus from Selcuk to the lower gate at Ephesus and a 15tl taxi back from the upper gate. Walking there is an option but only if you are very keen walkers. Whatever you do don't miss the Terraced houses.

Selcuk in my opinion is worth a few days just for its own sake, a lovely little town to chill out in.

Edmonton, Canada
6. Re: time and walking distance

Is St. John's Basilica and the Temple of artemis within walking distance from Selcuk? Also is it practical to do Ephesus/Mary's house/St. John's basilica/temple of artemis in the morning and go to Sirince in the late afternoon/evening? Are things open in the evening in Sirince? How long would it take to get there and what is the best method for travel?

Worthing, United...
reviews: 98
7. Re: time and walking distance

St. John's Basilica is in Selcuk and the Temple of Artemis is a 10 minute walk from the centre (though there is not much left of it). It is possible to do all these sights in the morning if it is just a case of ticking another sight off the list but to enjoy them you would need to pace yourself a little bit. Selcuk is a lovely little town and worth a visit in its own right.

Sirince is about 20-30 minutes in a dolmus but I don't know how late they run in the evening. There are restaurants and cafes there which will be open later.

London
reviews: 60
8. Re: time and walking distance

Also it may be worth noting that some hotels offer a free drop off/pick up to Ephesus (the start and finish are different places, you walk from one end to another and not round in a circle). We stayed at Hotel Bella opersite St Johns Basillica and they were kind enough to offer this complementary to their guests (we were aware of this from their website beforehand).

We are good walkers, but to be honest save your energy for walking in Ephesus! If you walk it to/from Selcuk its mainly along the road and is quite a way and best to do before it gets dark.

Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 2
9. Re: time and walking distance

I would disagree to some extent with some of the posters above depending on how much time you want to spend getting to the sites and how much time you want to spend at them, As I have walked a number of times from central Selcuk to the main site at Ephesus which is about 3.5 km. You can follow the track running parallel to the road and avoid some of the traffic noise, I have also walked on through the site up to to the church or house of the Virgin Mary - this section is about 4.5 km. The road is steep and not terribly wide which is not so nice when other vehicles are there. (So around 8 km directly from Selcuk) I was lucky enough to hitch back down but there is not a lot of traffic that can pick you up as the tour buses do not stop and there are no service domuses.

Ephesus is a large site and you can spend a good time there walking around and it would not make sense to be knackered and not enjoy the ruins if that is your main aim. April is not hot and the flowers etc can be fantastic so I would certainly recommend a good bit of walking

10. Re: time and walking distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 22, 2014