We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cultural advice

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Cultural advice

I will be visiting Istanbul to see my English football team play a local side.

This will be during Ramadan.

A normal English football trip would involve a fair amount of drinking and singing - nothing as bad as the reputation of the English football fan might suggest (just as I am certain the reputation of Turkish fans for mindless knife-based violence is undeserved) but boisterous.

Is there anywhere that moderate to high levels of drunkenness will be tolerated?

Will the fact that it is Ramadan (we will be there over the 26th night) mean tensions are likely to be higher?

Personally I'll probably avoid alcohol for the most part but I would like advice to pass on to my co-travellers who are unused to different values and customs.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Cultural advice

Dear GloryHunter: I have puzzling over how to reply to your post. Ramadan is a month long religious holiday where people fast from sunup to sundown and don't smoke or drink during the day. In some places outside of Istanbul the sale of alcohol is restricted during Ramadan. But in Istanbul you can still imbibe. While the Turkish people are avid football fans alcohol is not part of the mix as it may be in some western countries. I always tell my kids that drinking a lot in public in a foreign country is not a good idea as it can lead to all sorts of situations that you don't want to find yourself in. What we need here is a Turkish football fan to put you wise on what's acceptable and what's not. So let's hope there's someone out there to answer your question. Happy Travel, LemonLady

NewYork/USA and...
2. Re: Cultural advice

Hi GloryHunter,

I suggest you STAY AWAY from alcohol. WHY because may Turkish fans will fast during ramazan so they may NOT tolorate anything if Turkish team lost the match and I know that some of English fan DRINK alots of alcohol and get DRUNK. I can not imagine what happin when match finish.

PLEASE head this advice.

Toronto
3. Re: Cultural advice

What teams are playing?

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Cultural advice

Hi Guys: good advice as usual from Sinan, thanks. LL

5. Re: Cultural advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, August 19, 2009