We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mailing gifts back to US?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
home, sc
reviews: 5
Mailing gifts back to US?

Can someone please comment on whether it is feasible to mail small items back to the USA

of gifts like scarves and spices..?

Is it easy ? How much would it cost for a 2-3 lb envelope each mailed to New York?

Will it get tied up in customs ?

Since we are flying around turket and back to Greece before going back to the USA,

also we have a stop in Italy..

I can't see dragging these around to all these places, and we are limited to carryon luggage

thanks

7 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 56
1. Re: Mailing gifts back to US?

carolina, Have a look at the following thread: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3126…". You can send parcels back to US either air mail or by surface mail. The place to do that is the wonderful historic post office building at Eminonu. Here it is: "https://goo.gl/maps/lGScS". There are packaging materials stores right next to the post office. You should check the US customs requirements but I doubt there would be any problems.

good luck,

enigma...

Kayakoy, Turkey
reviews: 2
2. Re: Mailing gifts back to US?

US Customs could be a problem. Turkish Customs won't.

home, sc
reviews: 5
3. Re: Mailing gifts back to US?

Thanks again Enigma !

I will go to the post office and check.

it sounds like UPS and FedEx will be expensive

reviews: 52
4. Re: Mailing gifts back to US?

10 scarves and some spices would fit in the front pocket of your carry on luggage ! cheap 10 lire for a nice scarf just over 3 dollars and they are very light and easy to pack, just leave one more pair of shoes at home ! enjoy Turkey and the wonderful sights and amazing shopping !

turkey
reviews: 6
5. Re: Mailing gifts back to US?

You can check the official post service website to calculate the cost. This way will be cheaper than any other alternative.

www.ptt.gov.tr/index.snet…

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 27
6. Re: Mailing gifts back to US?

Sending a small parcel from Turkey to US is definitely an option and doable which will avoid you carrying them around while you visit Greece.

Using the post office known as PTT to send a 5kg box with dimensions of 30x30x30cm will cost around 200-300 lira.

You could also enquire at one of the many Aras Kargo courier companies that have offices all over Istanbul.

www.araskargo.com.tr/web_18712_2/index.aspx

As long as the spices are prepacked US customs shouldn't pose an issue.

Lincolnshire...
reviews: 218
7. Re: Mailing gifts back to US?

We mailed a number of packages back to the USA last month (some have arrived, others "on the way" I'm sure). The PO referenced above by Enigma is the place to do it (we were staying just two or three blocks away at the Solimon so it was quite convenient). There is a package area, for shipping, and you'll probably have to do a customs declaration form for each package (hint: don't emphasize the cost of the items in the package...e.g. "$10 gift" or similar would be good). There is also a PTT museum in the same complex.

Reply to: Mailing gifts back to US?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted