We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tram from Eminonu to Beyoglu and the Metro

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 181
Tram from Eminonu to Beyoglu and the Metro

Can someone tell me about the metro and tram running through the Sultanahmet area to Eminonu and over the Galata Bridge please. 1. What is the last stop on the Tram?

2. Where do you get off the Tram to go to the Tunel?

3. If you stay on the Tram, does it wrap around to Taksim - and what is the best way to get to Taskim by tram?

4. Is the metro complete from Aksaray to Taskim yet?

5. On my travels I have found taking a metro (above ground) is a great and fast way to view various parts of a City. Can this be done in istanbbul? Is the metro above ground and where could we go (looking out the windows on the train) to see views of the City? Are some routes better than others??

Any help appreciated.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 181
11. Re: Tram from Eminonu to Beyoglu and the Metro

Thanks for your kind comments. I have ran out of questions on Istanbul :). Just kidding - but here are a few thoughts about planning and a note to the fellow also from Edmonton.

1. Advanced planning can remove many of the wrinkles out of a trip . For my trip to Istanbul, which is but one stop on this upcoming trip for me, I have booked flights 7 months before departure - and then filled in the hotel. Sometimes it is the hotel that I want or event - then I leave the airflight until later. I have booked some flights hotels for mid 2007 already elsewhere in Europe - and am now looking at the hostels/pensions etc. As anyone who travels Europe knows - European airlines discount for early bookings and charge more closer to the departure date (exactly opposite to North America). Take Easyjet for example - they have summer 2007 on sale already (mostly from London to points in Europe). So booking in advance you always having something to look forward to (besides a good deal on airfare) and at the end of very tiring and stressful day at work - you can think about that next trip, grab a travel book, and unwind. That being said - we jumped on a plane last week to Vegas on a last minute deal and do this frequently to visit Vancouver, the Bay area etc. Trip Advisor is a great source of information and also a way to meet people.

2. To My Fellow Traveller from Edmonton who will be in Istanbul at the same time? When is that - are you staying in the Sultanahmet or Taksim area?. We went to two (2 new Turkish resaurants last week. The 1st is on 106th St south of 104 Ave and had some great food last week - Chef cooked it at his call for me (name of place I forget - but you will see it) and that other new one on 118th Ave and 125th St (forget that name as well : - I am at work doing this :). They are very differant places - with Chefs from differant areas of Turkey. The downtown one has the Effes beer and Turkish Wines, the other is a simpler, but large place, but does not serve alcohol. This latter place has a buffet at lunch as well as menu to order from, while the one downtown is really a full restaurant setup. There are others like CoCoDi as you know - but we eat out all the time - so are on the hunt for new ethnic restaurants - so Istanbul will be a great time for us - and as we love to eat (full course meals and drink copious amounts of wine :) we will be good customers dropping some good liras:). Anyway if you want we could as Lemonlady quipped - meet and share a Raki!!!. Funny thing - at MEC last week I also bumped into 3 or 4 others hetting ready to head to istanbul from Edmonton as well. Seems with all the Turks in Edmonton they are capturing our imaginations :) Take care

Edmonton, Alberta
reviews: 2
12. Re: Tram from Eminonu to Beyoglu and the Metro

Hey there,

I hadn't realised there were two restaurants here in town...Sofra is the downtown one, I believe.

We are in Istanbul from the 15th on to the end of the month, one of our main impetus for going is the F1 race on the 27th of August. We are staying in the Sultanahmet area since we wanted to be close to the main historic sites, and felt the neighbourhood would be relatively quiet as well (we aren't really the nightclub/party life sorts). With two full weeks in Istanbul, we will actually have a chance to see and feel the culture as much as possible. We've done a fair amount of research (and lurking in the forums here) and are looking forward to finding the old booksellers market and visiting streets like the flower market mentioned in this thread. I'm especially looking forward to simple things like the dawn call to prayer and riding the government ferry up the Bosphorus coast.

We would love to meet up with you for a drink, though I think the Efes beer is way more my speed :). We are staying at the Sari Konak for the entire time, though in the second week we likely will take an overnight trip to Ephesus...though we have yet to set which days yet. What are your travel dates? If you would like to switch to email, my address is raphaelite2@yahoo.co.uk. Hope to meet you there!

Virginia
13. Re: Tram from Eminonu to Beyoglu and the Metro

Dear CanadianBoys,

How was your trip to Istanbul? any highlights? We will be there in November. Please let me know. Did you go to a turkish bath? If so, which one and how was it? Best, JAppleg981@earthlink.net

14. Re: Tram from Eminonu to Beyoglu and the Metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 21, 2009