We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul
reviews: 15
Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

The city desperately needed rain after a mild and dry winter, and it seems that we now have days (maybe weeks) of rain ahead.

I thought this thread might be a place to suggest things to do when it rains.

For me, Istanbul is a very outdoor city as I'm interested in walking and looking at views. However, here's my suggestions if what visitors can do on a rainy day:

1. Visit the aquarium. There are two: one in Florya (bigger and better), and another in Forum shopping centre.

2. Grand Bazaar tour, lunch inside and touring some of the old Hans.

3. Emirgan Park (yes, complete with rain but it will be empty), followed by breakfast/lunch at a restaurant on the Bosphorus, and then the Sabanci Museum.

4. Ferry ride. Quite romantic when it's raining.

5. Shopping centre, if that's your sort of thing.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 10
21. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

Here is a link to a listing of classical music concerts in Istanbul, including free concerts at churches and embassies: …wordpress.com/istanbul-classical-music-list…

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
22. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

Another event calendar! This one is of Zorlu Performance Center: www.zorlucenterpsm.com/en/event-calendar

Last week of April, The Notre Damme De Paris is coming.

Enjoy!

Edited: 5:00 pm, March 09, 2014
Gunma Prefecture...
reviews: 3
23. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

Great thread! We'll be in Istanbul the last days of March and first few of April, so rain is always a possibility. As it's our first time in Istanbul, even if it gets a bit rainy we'll probably push through, but if it gets bad enough it is good to think of alternate things to do! I'm sure if it starts raining many enterprising businessmen will pop up wherever we are with ponchos or umbrellas for sale, and you can get some really nice pictures in the rain, or right after it clears. Still, here's hoping we get some sun during our trip too!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 312
24. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

On a rainy day which of these can you tour inside?

Topkapi Palace

Hagia Sophia

Blue Mosque

Dolmabahce Palace

Panorama 1453 Museum

Rumeli Fortress

Would each of them be able to be toured inside?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
25. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

Borus and VR, I have no idea what sugar beans are, but I am sure I would love them. I absolutely love every bean dish I have ever eaten in Turkey. If a menu item has beans in it, I always select it. This dish sounds fantastic. Could you share the recipe VR? And....could one of you describe a "sugar bean" for me so I could try and find something similar here. I would love to make that dish this month as our eldest grand-daughter is spending her spring break with us, and I know she would love this.

jordansbull, All of the sights you have listed are places you could visit while it is raining. I, personally, would not visit Rumeli Fortress in the rain because walking there is already difficult, and when it is wet I think it would be more treacherous for me. On the other hand, this is not a place I enjoy visiting even in good weather.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 9
26. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

BR - So very similar to our chili. I have eaten it made with lamb and beef. Aside from US recipe using lots of chili powder and cumin, it had onions, peppers, tomatoes fresh and paste, and chicken broth. Easy to make.

smk

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 27
27. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

Jordan, all of them except for the last one.

I'd probably do the last one as well but not everyone may like climbing a few hundred flights of stairs in slippery conditions with no guardrail present meaning a major slip and you could have a decent off from the wall.

Busy-retired I hear you about not liking the fortress in good weather as my wife was of the same opinion. I saw a couple younguns jumping barriers, opening closed doors up top and making their way between the towers albeit in a safe manner. Felt happy for them exploring without a care in the world.

However due to the age of the structure and due to its original building intention which was strictly an offensive minded fortress which was used in tandem with the Anatolian fortress built across it to stop aid reaching the Byzantine from the black sea no matter what you can kind of understand and relate to how and why it was built in the particular way it was.

Knowing all of this you will have a much more appreciative experience of visiting & going around the structure. Not to mention it was built hastily in a time of 90 days with only one objective in mind.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
28. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

Given the fact that it took my general contractor nine months to re-model my bathroom I am always in awe of anything completed in 90 days. Really. It always amazes me to look at it and realize how quickly it was constructed.

I know that some children have the sure footing of mountain goats. I saw them jumping from one street level to the street below from roof top to roof top in Mardin. I admire their agility, but I have never been that flexible or brave. I have been to Rumeli five times. The first four happened when I was 18 and 19 and I only remember that the steps were a bit challenging. The last time was when I was over 65. I promised God that if He let me survive my last visit I would never tempt fate again by returning. I am probably like your wife, ResmeN, I will happily wait while others explore.

29. Re: Spring rain - what to do in Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 11, 2015