We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using my unlocked iPhone in Istanbul?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 211
Using my unlocked iPhone in Istanbul?

I searched the archives but hope to get the most up to date answer so am asking it in this post. I have an iPhone 3Gs that I no longer have on a plan in the USA and it is unlocked. I have taken it to the UK and Australia last year and set up a short term plan and purchased a Sim card. I mainly like to have it for some of the apps and the GPS but find it comes in handy if I need to make or cancel a reservation or other calls that occasionally come up.

After a Google search I saw an article on new laws and fees for foreign cell phones that went into effect in October but I am still a bit unclear. Our trip is only 10 days so I am not sure if we will need to register and pay a tax as well as should I buy a Turkish Sim card or use the one already in the phone. I don't plan to make any calls outside of Istanbul or back to the USA and most likely won't make any calls, just mainly use it for the apps as mentioned.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 58
1. Re: Using my unlocked iPhone in Istanbul?

Chris, Just get a Turkish sim card from one of the mobile operators without bothering to register your phone. Only after 10 days or two weeks or so the sim card will become unoperational in that phone. With a Turkish sim card you can call US or other countries as well as make phone calls locally. You can also use your phone to connect to internet. This will be a pay-as-you-go plan.

enigma...

2. Re: Using my unlocked iPhone in Istanbul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 31, 2014