We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For LemonLady

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, U.K.
For LemonLady

Hello! I've just read your replies to the queries re: Istanbul hotels (Sultanahmet vs.Taksim) and would like some recommendations from you (or anyone else local/familiar foodie-mad) for restaurants/cafes, etc. in Sultanahmet, in the covered bazaar and vicinities of all major touristic attractions which will be easily accessible whilst visiting them. I'm looking for places which are good-value, clean and not touristic (i.e.frequented by locals in the know) for authentic local fare, including fresh fish/seafood and of course, the ubiquitous kebaps and koftes...I'll be arriving in Istanbul this Friday and have already found a hotel in Sultanahmet. I'm also very interested in food places on the Asian side as well. I've read that you can get good seafood along the shores of the Bosphorus- can anyone recommend a specific place? Thanks!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
1. Re: For LemonLady

Hi PerkyPat: ok here we go, on April 17, 2006 there were very good replies to restaurant queries, name of poster is beauoli and replies given were very on target I will add my favorites: Mor Fil Restaurant in Ortokoy (which I hope is still around), 16 Muallinaci Street, no English menu or English speakers but great place, friendly, helpful staff, it seems to be a favorite with the local police, down the block is an excellent pastry and ice store, alas I have forgotten it's name but there are many nice shops and vendors there so it is very interesting, walk down Muallinaci Street to Bosphorus. For a break the bank evening I suggest dinner at Ciraghan Palace Hotel's Tugra Restaurant, very romantic and expensive, breakfast buffet there is the most magnificent I've ever seen. Try the neighborhood of Kardikoy on Asian side of town, like Soho in NY (or London for that matter), full of artists and great little restaurants, get Time Out Istanbul for suggestions, they are very good. Happy Trip, LemonLady

London, U.K.
2. Re: For LemonLady

Hello LemonLady! Thanks for your reply and for the info for the postings on the previous date in April. I've been doing more research and have printed out the lists from both postings in addition to one that I'd drawn up...with cross-referencing (and lots of reading!) I've come up with places for definite visits worth checking out...Good luck with filming next month! Cheers, P.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
3. Re: For LemonLady

Hi P: forgot to tell you (a senior moment no doubt), about Bozcadda Island, about 5 hours from Istanbul, romantic, and out of the way. Check it out, LemonLady

London, U.K.
4. Re: For LemonLady

Thank you- have added it to list! Would be interesting to see my partner's reaction upon suggesting a 'romantic' place to visit though! ('Romance'? What's that?! :) Ciao for now! P.

London, U.K.
5. Re: For LemonLady

Hi LemonLady! Am back! (do I want to be?!) I see in my brief scan of the recent forum pages that you've been made An Expert! Congratulations! You definitely deserve it for all the info and help you give out to people! You must be busy preparing for your imminent trip there now...

Have loads to say but don't want to crowd the forum pages...but very briefly, I must say that 'Green Bursa' captured my heart with the friendliness of the people in comparison to my time in Istanbul...(and elsewhere in Turkey I'd visited so far). There seems to be a stark and distinct difference in terms of interaction with the locals...perhaps because of the scarcity of tourists in comparison to Istanbul (good thing!)

Must get back to the slog and grey skies of London now...:)P.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
6. Re: For LemonLady

Hi PP: welcome back! And thank you for your good wishes on what goodwitch calls my local expertness, I am glad you had a good time in "Green Bursa" but I am surprised to hear about your impression of the folks in Istanbul. Please let us know about your trip, all your forum friends are waiting to hear your impressions. Sorry about London weather, NY has been cold and rainy for the past three days but the sun has come out this am. Give yourself time to get back into the swim and then dazzle us with your trip details. Great hearing from you and yes I am running around getting ready for the trip. Happy Day, LemonLady

San Clemente, CA
reviews: 8
7. Re: For LemonLady

ummm, errr, what is Green thing? :)

NY, NY/Istanbul...
8. Re: For LemonLady

Hi: Bursa, is called Green Bursa because of how green the surrounding mountains are I think, if anyone knows another reason please post. LemonLady

London, U.K.
9. Re: For LemonLady

I was informed by the manager of a fabulously fresh eaterie in Istanbul that Bursa is aptly named 'Green' due to its particularly verdant vegetation and its plentiful produce of vegetables and fruits- and so it is, especially when viewed from the vantage point of the Cekirge district- beautifully lit at night-time...

Bursa is also famous for it's thermal springs- the most famous one being at the Kervanseray Termal, also in Cekirge. We stayed in a lovely hotel with character in Cekirge called Termal Gold- the staff were well-trained, well-spoken and friendly, and the rooms were decorated in burgundy reds and cream- a sumptuous spread of breakfast was served in the front outdoor seating area under the shade of some lovely old trees- it was all very peaceful and tranquil...

Bursa is also famous for its towel production, apparently. When you walk along the main thoroughfare in the centre of the city, you will see a popular congregating area with a refreshing fountain in the centre- people sitting around chatting on the numerous benches with tea-sellers doing the rounds with their trays...In the vicinity, are some very colourful, bustling markets where the locals taste the cheeses before purchasing, and beautiful displays of quality produce are proudly and lovingly put on show for the discerning locals...The precision of one particular stall which sold only garlic bulbs was astonishing- set against the backdrop of pristine, shiny red plastic, each bulb spaced equally apart all perfectly aligned and cropped to the same lengths- it could have been an installation piece! The lack of tourists means that you get to experience a glimpse of how locals go about their daily lives without the intrusion of outsiders- we shared a table with an old gentleman in a courtyard tucked away off the main market streets- he was waiting for his old chum, who promptly turned up after a small wait. His new friend and I started talking- he was a retired ex-army colonel and had been stationed in Italy and elsewhere- his English was very good and we were chatting so much that his poor friend, who didn't speak any English, got shunted out of our conversations...all the tables around the courtyard clustered around the central water fountain, which had many taps on the sides for the men to wash and cleanse themselves before walking up the stairs to, I presume, the praying room. There were many similar fountains, beautifully mosaiced in the vicinity, much frequented and used by the locals on that hot, sunny day...

I could go on! But as you can see, Bursa has its own particular magic about it...I, for one, will be visiting again...

NY, NY/Istanbul...
10. Re: For LemonLady

Hi PP: I am blown away by your Bursa description, it was like I was there myself walking around, seeing the people, the garlic, the old man, the water taps, the lovely hotel. I am sure your post will increase traffic to Bursa. LL