We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

Hi,

I have a 15 hour layover in Istanbul (Ataturk Airport), and would like to store my backpack (70L hiking pack) while I explore the city. I know that the Ataturk Airport offers luggage storage, but from what I've read they require that the bags be locked. Can anyone confirm that this is still true? Any ideas how to lock a hiking pack? Also, is there anywhere else that you might be able to suggest for luggage storage?

Thanks!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 56
1. Re: Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

runnin, Ataturk Airport has a luggage storage. "ataturkairport.com/en-EN/airportguide/Pages/…". I do not know anything about locked bags requirement, but you normally lock your bags anyway..

Sirkeci Train station also has lockers at the main entrance hall on the right wall.

good luck,

enigma...

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

Hi, I am doing a 7 day stopover in Istanbul with family, and I'll be travelling to various cities. We'll have 9 suitcases in total. I don't want to lug them around, and wanted to leave them at the airport. But for 7 days * 9 suitcases, storing luggage at the airport is going to get expensive. Is there a cheaper option?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
3. Re: Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

servant, You can try to negotiate a deal with the hotel you are staying in Istanbul. Otherwise the storage areas at the airport or train station would be too expensive for 7 days.

enigma...

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, though safety is a bit of a concern. Thanks.

Mississauga, Canada
5. Re: Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

Hi enigma... Is it safe to keep your luggage in lockers if it contains expensive jewelry??

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
6. Re: Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

OKhM, simply no. I would not keep expensive jewelery in lockers.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
7. Re: Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

I would leave expensive jewelry at home. I certainly would not put it in any luggage that is ever out of my sight, so I would not put it in checked airline luggage or a carry-on bag stored in the overhead compartments or in any storage facility. My general travel philosophy is that I store expensive things in the hotel safe or I take them with me, which generally means that my iPad and laptop go in the hotel safe, my camera goes in my handbag, and my wedding band goes on my finger.

8. Re: Luggage Storage During 15 hour Layover - Istanbul Ataturk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 10, 2014