We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Sea Information Required

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 1
Black Sea Information Required

I have a week planned in Istanbul for late Nov/Dec and have decided to have a further week somewhere out of Istanbul. I am looking at the Black Sea area and would travel by road one way and return to Instanbul by air . Does anyone have any ideas of where in the Black Sea region I should base myself and if services in winter are minimal. This will be my second visit to Turkey and previously enjoyed a tour of the main tourist areas including Cappadocia. Any other suggestions as to where I could spend my week would be great also and would appreciate all advice. With thanks. Anne

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 58
1. Re: Black Sea Information Required

Hi Anne,

Welcome to Turkey once again. What a wonderful idea you have to visit the Black Sea coast of Turkey. Here is a very nice article from the current issue of Skylife Magazine of Turkish Airlines on eastern Black Sea region: "turkishairlines.com/en-INT/skylife/2011/febr…".

For your 7 days, I can see two possibilities. Ther first is to rent a car in Istanbul and drive it all the way to Hopa on the eastern end of Black Sea coast and fly back from Hopa to Istanbul (Turkish Airlines). In this case I suggest the following route: "Istanbul-Duzce-Gerede (TEM toll highway)- Ilgaz-Kastamonu-Inebolu-Sinop-Samsun-Ordu-Giresun-Trabzon-Rize Hopa. This is a long drive but perfectly doable in 7 days. I suggest overnights at Kastamonu, Sinop, Ordu, Trabzon (2 nights), Rize and Hopa. You can drop your car off at Hopa Airport and fly back to Istanbul.

The second alternative is to fly to Trabzon from Istanbul (Turkish Airlines, Anadolu Jet, Pegasus Airlines) and rent a car at the airport at Trabzon and make side trips on the west to Giresun and Ordu and on the east to Rize, Ardeşen and Hopa. In this alternative there is less driving but you see less (however more of villages possibly).

In this trip you would be visiting Sumela Monastery, Ayder and Uzungöl highlands, and many other wonders of the eastern Black Sea coast. You would need a very goodTurkey Guide Book (Lonely Planet, DK Eyewitness Turkey) and a good road map. The best is "Turkey Euro Map by Geo Center" available from Amazon. I use this map in all my travels throughout Turkey. Also here are current downloadable road maps by Turkish Highways Directorate: "kgm.gov.tr/Sayfalar/…Maps.aspx". Click on regions.

Gas is expensive but the rental cars are very reasonably priced and the roads are good and well signposted. If you drive an economy car very stingy on gas, it will not be very expensive. Make sure you get full insurance on the car. I would prefer large companies with service all throughout Turkey.

good luck in your Black Sea adventures,

enigma...

istanbul
2. Re: Black Sea Information Required

Hello Ann,

I am a Black sea enthusiast as you can see from the following blogs:

eserahmetcelebilerblackseatrip1.blogspot.com (also 2,3,4)

www.otherchelebistravels.blogspot.com

However, late November and December are most probably some of the worst periods for visiting the area.

You will be facing 5-12 degrees centigrade very wet and frequently windy weather on the coast and freezing temperatures and possibly snow on high elevations.

Both the coast road and the valleys have had heavy flooding and land slides during this time in the past.

Many of the B&Bs and lodges on the high pastures will be closed except for those catering to trekkers and adventurers.

I recommend Mardin and Urfa in the Southeast and/or Antakya and Iskenderun on the Eastern Med. You will have somewhat warmer weather and less precipitation. All three regions are well-worth visiting for the adventurer and the curious,as well as lovers of antiquity and different life styles. they have decent lodging (do not go for the cheaper ones, as the averred stars are not very commensurate with what you get)

Renting a car in the Southeast, you will have difficulty with an open jaw, i.e. flying to Mardin and returning car at Adana airport. after driving Mardin-Hasankeyf-Midyat-Urfa-Gaziantep-Iskenderun-Antakya, because you will be dealing with local agencies and possibly Avis franchises. Still, Avis will be your best bet.

Edited: 2:55 am, February 16, 2011
London, United...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Black Sea Information Required

Hi Anne, I couldn't agree more with what OtherChelebi has said - the Black Sea area - particularly the further East you go - would be cold at that time of year, and even worse very very wet, and it is really not much fun sightseeing or driving in that sort of weather, as we found for ourselves a few years ago when we were there, in April I believe. There was still snow on the higher lands and lots of evidence of rock slides making many roads nearly unpassible. The area is beautiful - but really better to see at a different time of year.

Here is a link to the Turkish Meteorological site - run your mouse over the map and click on the area to get the monthly average temperratures.

www.dmi.gov.tr/en-US/forecast-cities.aspx

Edited: 3:13 am, February 16, 2011
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
4. Re: Black Sea Information Required

Hi Anne,

To help you decide on the Black sea trip, here is what happened, weatherwise, at Trabzon, during late November 2010. "wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html". The daytime temperatures are in mid 20's and the night time temps are around mid 10's.

enigma...

Gocek, Turkey
5. Re: Black Sea Information Required

It's rather deceptive to look at just the weather for a single year in Trabzon.

Trabzon is at sea level, whereas places like Ayder and Uzungöl are well above 3,000 ft. above sea level, which means that the weather conditions will be quite different and certainly more severe.

In November/December, most of the accommodation in the area outside major towns and cities will be shut and whilst there is a modern highway east from Trabzon to Rize, the minor roads are often almost dirt tracks, prone to closure due to landslides, flooding, etc.

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
reviews: 7
6. Re: Black Sea Information Required

If you look at previous years then I think you get a truer picture of likely weather in Trabzon in November.

wunderground.com/history/…calendar

wunderground.com/history/…calendar

You have to bear in mind that last year across Turkey the weather was unusual. I know many people who live in the region and do not even consider making long journeys during the winter months.

I'd go with OC's attaguls and dudisimos advice and choose a more clement area :o)

Edited: 9:47 am, February 16, 2011
Ismailia, Egypt
reviews: 2
7. Re: Black Sea Information Required

Hi,

I am planning to attend a conference at Bayburt University in July and just wondering what could be done in 5 day and what to visit. I am planning to have my 10 year old daughter with me and hope we could be doing interesting things. Possibly spending some time in Istanbul.

Can anyone help give some suggestions and info about the region.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
8. Re: Black Sea Information Required

Heba, I suggest that you rent a car at Bayburt and visit Trabzon and all the surrounding areas I have mentioned at post No.1. Sumela Monastery is on the way to Trabzon and that is number one historical attraction in the area. You can drop your car off at Trabzon and fly to Istanbul from there.

At Istanbul, here are some of the interesting places you can visit with your daughter: "tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k46…". For this trip, you really need more than 5 days.

good luck,

enigma...

Ismailia, Egypt
reviews: 2
9. Re: Black Sea Information Required

Thanks a million for your prompt reply. I will surely take it into consideration.

10. Re: Black Sea Information Required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, February 21, 2013