We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying for hotel by cash?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 12
paying for hotel by cash?

hi, this is just a quick question.

is it safe to pay by cash for the hotel on arrival?

also do i pay in euros?

should i take the euros from here or get them from turkey?

Nablus
reviews: 3
1. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

I think booking in advance is better and cheaper,I always book hotels by internet.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 200
2. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

Yes it is always a good idea to book your hotel in advance, but not many of us are anxious to pay for our hotel in advance.

I carry cash, and I pay my hotel bill in full on the day I arrive so I do not have to carry lots of cash around with me. Just be sure to ask for a receipt since you will have no other record of payment. Of course, if you are not completely comfortable with your hotel, and fear that you might need to check out early for some reason paying upon arrival could be problematic.

Check with your hotel to see which forms of currency they will accept. The hotel we use always quotes prices in Euros, but they accept dollars and give us the exchange rate for the day.

Some hotels will accept credit cards, but you can almost always get a better deal if you pay in cash. Some hotels are offering as much as a 15% discount if you prepay your reservation, but that is not a extremely popular yet with Istanbul hotels.

London, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

Hi, most hotels in Istanbul quote their prices in Euros or USD - but they will convert the cost at the day's published exchange rate to whatever currency you want - for example Sterling or Lira.

No point in you buying Euros in UK (or maybe you have a stash already!) But note that they will not accept Scottish pound notes. You could also just withdraw the money from an ATM once in Istanbul - depending upon how much you need and what your daily allowance is and what your bank charges for the transaction.

Germany
reviews: 1
4. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

Hello!

It's only rarely that someone will agree on paying in cash upon arrival. In the majority of cases you will have to pay more.

As for euro, it's better to bring euro from your home country.

Good luck!

Sceaux, France
reviews: 10
5. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

The hotel where I usually stay in Istanbul, offers me 2 ways transportation to Ataturk, a free dinner, and 10% discount for paying cash.If I booked it through internet it costed more.

Scotland
reviews: 12
6. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

when i booked the hotel, the manager said if i paid by cash i would get a 10% discount.

he took credit card details but stated that its just for security.

its the dersaadet hotel which seems to have great reviews so i assume i can trust them?

Sceaux, France
reviews: 10
7. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

Yes you can!I never stayed there but some friends did.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 85
8. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

As Emma pointed out above, many hotels will provide a substantial discount for paying in cash, some offers only good if you pay upon arrival. Certainly get a receipt. Euros or YL acceptable.

9. Re: paying for hotel by cash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 28, 2010