We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon during Ramadan

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Honeymoon during Ramadan

Hi all - my fiance and I are considering travelling to Istanbul at the very beginning of Ramadan in 2005 (we would arrive on the first day). I am wondering if that should play any role in our consideration of Turkey as our honeymoon destination. I have always wanted to visit Turkey and would still love to go. I'm just starting to think that during Ramadan might not be the best time. Are many places (attractions, cafes, hotels, etc.) closed? If so, is this an organized process or are closings sporadic? If we did go, what would we need to be concerned about? Thank you!

NewYork/USA and...
1. Re: Honeymoon during Ramadan

I do not think that you may have some problem when you get there. Because touristic places will be open unless stay outside of touristic place like sultanahmet

You will be Turkish people guest so you do not need anything JUST BE TOURIST. Have fun

I wish you and your fiance have HAPPY and HEALTY 2005

Sinan Akdeniz

Wayne, New Jersey
2. Re: Honeymoon during Ramadan

Mason,

Sinan is right you should have no worries going around that time, however getting into some of the historic mosques during call to prayer might be an issue (but it always is). If and when visiting such a mosque, the Suleymaniye for example, be sure that you do not enter with your legs and arms exposed. Out of respect it would also be a good idea for your fiancee to carry a headscarf for entering these mosques, otherwise they may hand you a general headscarf that you must return before leaving the mosque.

About the general mood of people during Ramadan: the Turks tend to be a very generous and hospitable people, however during Ramadan the devout will go one month fasting (don't worry they can eat and drink water after sundown) and without sinful indulgences like tobacco or alcohol. I am sure you can imagine what kind of mood that can put people in. I personally had a very humbling moment with a taxi cab driver that had gone 8 hours without a cigarette and had a 2 pack a day habit. When I lit up my cigarette he looked like he was ready to throw me out of the cab. Not mind you because I was smoking in his cab... (Turks smoke anywhere and everywhere, minus airports and buses), but because he couldn't share the joy with me.

But take all that with a grain of salt and enjoy the country and city if Istanbul for what it is. It grabs at your heart and just never lets go. When you leave is when you realize just how much of a pull it has, like that first love you may have had and just let go without knowing their true value.

USA
reviews: 1
3. Re: Honeymoon during Ramadan

You should not worry about restaurants, bars being closed during Ramadan. Contrary to common belief Islamic Turks do not mix business with pleasure, shall we say. There will be plenty of places to go to. The bars or restaurants or supermarkets will not refuse to sell you alcohol unlike the experience I had in Mexico City during Easter. For 4 days no restaurants served us alcohol and supermarkets alcohol isles were closed. You would never see such a thing in Turkey, guaranteed. Have fun and congrats on your upcoming wedding.