We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel recommendation, please... and the rest

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 79
hotel recommendation, please... and the rest

hi, Everyone

Planning my trip to Istanbul (april 2008) I`d like to hear some advice from TA experts.

1/ hotel? My budget limit is 150USD per night, better 100USD. My idea of decent hotel is nice clean room that feels like room and not like cavernous corridor, suitably decorated and with proper amenities. Class and stars are of no actual importance. Always prefer new hotels or recently renovated.

2/ Transport from Attaturk Airport to the city (appx. Sultanahmet area)?? What options do I have? Fares?

3/ Avarage prices for lunch/dinner meals is street cafes? Nothing fancy, just tourist type of eating.

4/ Any other suggestion on the matter?

thanks in advance

Schoenefeld

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 33
1. Re: hotel recommendation, please... and the rest

Hi there Schoenefeld,

1 and 2 I would recommend to have a good look in the hotel picks, there are lots of good hotels in Sultanahmet, most small, in nice old buildings. The price for a room in Sultanahmet is also not that high.

As you choose your hotel, and you stay several nights they sometimes offer a one way transfer. Other good options are metro or by taxi.

If you take the metro you have to change in Zeytinburnu and take the tram into Sultanahmet.

3 Food can be expensive and very very cheap. Cheap food is still good! I saw this week sandwiches with chicken and fresh orange juice for 2,5 lira! Just outside the Spice Market. You will find this kind of places all over Istanbul.

A very good meal I can recommend is inside the Grand BAzar, a restaurant called Havuzlu. They do food from the steam table and the best Iskender kebab. A main course is max 10,00 ytl.

Or eat the special Sultanahmet köfte on Divan yol!

Options are plenty, for a best ottoman's meal I can also advise to have a meal inside Topkapi Palace, where you find a Konyali restaurant. Good views and super food.

One more..... Hamdi just outside the spicemarket on the Golden Horn. Also here super views and super food!

Cheers! I get hungry, I have a reservation for sunday in Hamdi and I am really looking forward!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 56
2. Re: hotel recommendation, please... and the rest

Hi Schonefeld,

Sirkeci Konak Hotel would be a very good choice for you. It is no 1. rated hotel by Trip Advisor. There is a lot of information in the forum about this hotel. Have a look at the following links and the TA reviews.:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1627…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1608…

Their website address: "www.sirkecikonak.com".

Transport from Ataturk airport to Sultanahmet is either by taxi (about 35 YTL) or by metr/tram combination (airport to Zeytinburnu station by metr,transfer to tram, and get off tram at Sultanahmet, total cost 3 YTL/person)

For restaurants use our Istanbul Restaurant Picks thread for advice. It is an excellent resource: Here it is:,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k8938…

Good Luck,

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 79
3. Re: hotel recommendation, please... and the rest

hi and thanks, Villarapsody (I see you like turkish angora, right?) and Enigma.

YES I like Sirkeci Konak very much, and of course it was the first option I looked into when Istanbul vacation idea came to my mind. Simply this particular hotel seems out of my money range. Pity.

But being realistic I am still out of decision - about hotel????????? I suppose someone may give me a clue!!!!!!

I also looked into Orient Express site (web page looks identical to Sirkeci Konak), any opinion or advice ??????

thanks for helping me

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 56
4. Re: hotel recommendation, please... and the rest

Hi Schoenefeld,

Orient express Hotel is owned by the same company as Sirkeci Konak. That's why their websites are almost the same. Orient Express is more in the range of your budget. It is on the tram avenue and just 100 meters from the Gulhane tram station. It also has a very good restaurant at the rooftop with a fantastic bosphorus view. I have not stayed at this hotel but I am impressed by the positive recommendations at the TA hotel review section and by our forumites. Have a look at the following link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k2051…

Good Luck,

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 33
5. Re: hotel recommendation, please... and the rest

Hi Schonefeld!

For me it is hard to recommend on hotels, as we live here we do not need to stay in a hotel. As an area I would just love to stay in Sultanahmet myself as you can walk to all the sites easily, and it breathes the atmosphere of Ottoman and Byzantine Turkey.

The cat on the picture is a mix Van cat, one blue and one green eye, this one walked in our garden last year as a kitten and never left. In the past I had a wonderful Angora cat, pure white. I have a weak spot for white animals.

Hope you have a lovey time!

6. Re: hotel recommendation, please... and the rest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 19, 2009