We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burnaby
Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

I am from Canada. I am booked on a cruise from Athens to Istanbul. All cruise passengers will be disembarking at Istanbul. Once I leave the cruise ship on day of disembarkment, I will be departing Istanbul immediately and flying to Athens. Will I need to apply for a tourist visa upon arrival at Istanbul in order to visit the tourist attractions there and will there be a problem when I try to leave Istanbul after I leave the ship for a flight back to Athens if I don't have a tourist visa?

Thanks.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 58
1. Re: Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

Hi,

Refer to the following link for some answers to your questions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1634…

Good Luck,

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
2. Re: Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

Hi Rosser, Can we not persuade you to linger a couple of days in this magnificent city? It is really a pity that you can only spend such a short amount of time in Istanbul.

You need a visa to leave Turkey. You will hear various stories regarding visas on your cruise ship. The cruise ship may sell them on the ship for much more than you can purchase one as soon as you disembark. Many people claim that you do not need a visa if you move directly from the cruise ship to the airport and do not spend the night in Istanbul.

In my very painful experience it is not a good idea to attempt to leave Turkey unless your visa is in good order. Even if I knew it was legal to move from the cruise ship to the airport without a visa I would not risk it for the small price of the visa. In my experience the people working at the airport look very closely for your visa, and if you do not have a valid visa it will at least slow your passage through the terminal.

So, regardless of what you are told, I would purchase the visa when I disembarked from the ship. I am not sure what the cost is for Canadians, but you should probably be prepared to pay for it in Canadian currency.

If nothing else, it will jazz up your passport and prove that you passed through this jewel of a city!

Gocek, Turkey
3. Re: Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

I'll bump up the latest information on visa costs etc..

Unfortunately no mention is made on the Foreign Ministry's website about the regulations in your case, but I think that it is advisable to get a 'sticker visa' as I believe that visas are only waived if you visit on a cruise ship, don't sleep on shore and depart on the ship.

Also unfortunate is the cost for a Canadian citizen - but that's probably because the Canadian government charges Turkish citizens an expensive visa fee.

Burnaby
4. Re: Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

Thanks to all for the infor re tourist visa; can some one clarify what a sticker visa is and where I would get it. Also the website seem to quote 45euros or 60.00 U.S. to obtain visa at port of entry. Would I need to bring additional passport type photos to attach to tourist visa or sticker visa. The norweigian Jade cruise line info says when we arrive in Istanbul, the clearance officer on board will require we purchase a visa so if that is the case do I have no choice in the matter? Anyone from Canada who has taken the 12-day egypt and Greek Isles from Athens to Istanbul disembarking in Istabul without a tourist visa ahead of time can give me their experience. Thanks.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
5. Re: Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

The Turkish Tourist Visa is just a stamp in your passport. You do not need any paperwork or photos, just the amount of the Visa in dollars or Euros. Be sure you have the correct change because they do not give change for larger bills.

I cannot advise you regarding the purchase of your visa while aboard your cruise ship. I am not sure you will find an answer here. You might direct your question to the forum that generally serves cruise ship tourists directly.

Since you know what the cost of the Canadian Visa is it seems more likely that you will not be taken advantage of by your cruise ship.

Burnaby
6. Re: Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

Thank you all. I think I now have the information I need. You have been so helpful.

7. Re: Cruise ship disembarks Istanbul - Tourist visa needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 19, 2009