We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Day

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Illinois
reviews: 17
New Year's Day

I'm so excited about our first trip to Turkey! We will be arriving on New Year's Eve and staying for a week. I understand the weather is not the best at that time of year, but we're still expecting a wonderful time. There are so many things we want to do, and I don't know how we are going to get to all the sites in 7 days. Am I correcting in assuming that EVERYTHING will be closed on New Year's Day? It's unfortunate, because having just arrived we will be wanting to hit the tourist trail. Does anyone have any suggestion for a way to spend the day? We're not worried about New Year's Eve - with the long flight, I doubt we will be able to greet midnight. Thanks for the help.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 200
1. Re: New Year's Day

I do not know if the malls and bazaars will be closed. If they are open I am sure that the modern malls will be very crowded....the bazaars probably less so. Topkapi will be closed regardless because it is a Tuesday and they are always closed on Tuesday. The Blue Mosque will, of course, we open, and you can walk through the Hippodrome.

If I were going to be in Istanbul on New Year's Day, I think I would take a ferry to the Asian side and find some great place to eat and wander around and look a bit. This would be especially attractive if some of the stores are open. I am quite confident that restaurants will be open.

In the alternative you can visit the Blue Mosque and wander about in Sultanahmet looking at the Hippdrome, make reservations at Balikci Sabahattin and have a marvelous fish dinner. Get to bed earily so you can start bright and early at Topkapi the following day.

Hopefully Alper or Kozano or Villa Rhapsody can give us some more precise information about what is open and what is closed.

North Tustin, CA
reviews: 120
2. Re: New Year's Day

Will other mosques be open?

Ankara
3. Re: New Year's Day

Mosques are open, since people pray there everyday.

Malls will be open starting from noon, mostly.

You can take a bosphorus tour on the first of January or go to Prince islands. You wont see many people around until late afternoon.

Also, if you change your opinion about getting out on New Year's Eve you should still avoid Taksim square (in case), it will be very crowded and it will not really be safe.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 200
4. Re: New Year's Day

The malls are going to be very crowded. Does anyone know if the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar will be open for part of the day? A ferry to Princes Island is a good idea, particularly if you go in the morning. I would be sure to take something very warm as it will be cool on the water.

5. Re: New Year's Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 10, 2009