We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liv
reviews: 3
HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Couple of Questions..

Is it Women on Women- Masseuses and Men on Men Masseurs?

Iv heard about the Cemberlitas and the Ciagogllu Hammams in Istanbul but just wondering if there any hidden gems and people have uncovered. If the opinion is visit one of the above. Which and Why!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
1. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Hii Marcos, I have not had a hammam experience but many posters to the forum have had terrific experiences. For details offered by these posters type the word "hammah" in the search box at the top of the forum. This will bring up a thread initiated by counselorlady answering questions about the hammam. Below that post is a second thread initiated by osumom with addtional information.

The Cemberlitas and the Cagaloglu are the two hammams mentioned positively on the forum. I am not aware of any "hidden treasure in the category of spas. Some of the five star hotels provide turkish baths and you do not have to be a guest to take advantage of these.

I think that the ambience of the Cemberlitas and the Cagalglu is the primary attraction, as well as the service. In both of these hammams the staff is familiar with tourists and generally explain everything as it is done. I do not know that one is particularly better than the other. People describe both of them as elegant and sumptuous. I imagine it is just a personal preference.

Some people who do not appreciate the age of the traditional hammams opt for an experience in a hammam in a five star hotel. These are, of course, much more modern in terms of design.

Women and men's facilities are segregated. You should purchase your own scurbbing mitt before going in to the hammam. The mitt will be much more expensive if you wait to buy it then. and you can take your own shampoo if you want your preferred brand.

In addition to the threads I recommended, I believe that Lemonlady has written an inside page on this topic. Good luck. I hope you have a wonderful experience in the hammam you select.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 44
2. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Agreed with Busy-Retired. Men on men and women with women. They are separated.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 33
3. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Hi Marcos,

The 2 hamams mentioned are the most famous ones, for that reason also the most expensive ones. The locations are really traditional in beautiful buildings. There are more turkish baths and I think this thread I a very imformative one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k9084…

Recently In have also read a complaint about mitt selling tricks in one of the 2 you mention. Please read and be prepared, I that way you will have a wonderful experience.

Good luck!

Toronto Canada
reviews: 5
4. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Hi Marcos:

I have recently returned from my first trip to Istanbul and my first Hammam experience. I went to the Cemberlitas Hammam because it was within walking distance from my hotel, and because I had read that it was a good bath to visit for a first timer.

They had 3 options - a base offer for 29 YTL, the bath and soap massage for 40 YTL and the bath, soap massage and oil massage for 70 YTL. I opted for the bath and soap massage. The staff there were very helpful - I wasn't completely sure of the procedure, but they walked me through everything. And, yes, the masseurs were men. I have read about the mitt scam at the baths as well. When I paid at the front, they gave me an exfoliating mitt and a plastic "massage" voucher.

This was one of the highlights of the whole trip for me. You are free to steam yourself as long as you like prior to your scouring/soaping. The whole thing took me about an hour, and afterward I had a nice relaxing session just sitting in the camekan with a fresh squeezed orange juice after bathing.

Please note that the staff expect to be tipped here for their service and let you know as much. However, the massage was excellent and well worth it, in my opinion.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
5. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Thanks ootnaboot, It sounds like a heavanly experience and something I am certainly going to try on my next visit. How does the tipping work? Do you tip after you get dressed? What are the expected amounts for the tips and how many people do you end up tipping? Thanks for sharing your personal experience. It is so much more valuable to us than two sentences in a guidebook.

Toronto Canada
reviews: 5
6. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Hi Busy-Retired:

By all means you should definitely try the hammam. I've had massages before, but this was exceptional.

A little bit more about the hammam - you are directed to a change room where you are given a cotton towel called a pestemal (sp?) that you wear into the baths. At the Cemberlitas hammam, I changed in a small change room with a locking door. You take the key with you - it is fastened to a little bracelet-type of thing that you wear on your wrist.

Once you are finished, and have changed and collected your things from the change room, the masseur will wait for you in the kamecan. I tipped him there. I actually gave him a 25% tip (10YTL), because I enjoyed the whole experience so much. In addition to the massage and scrubdown, the hammam was spotless, which made for a great experience.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
7. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

Thanks......wished I were there right now!

scotland
reviews: 7
8. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

hi, just back from turkey,myself and 2 grandaughters had a wonderful turkish bath ,we were a bit worried if it would be men . it was dont worry they are very nice you will love it

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
9. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

We were in Turkey for a month, but our daughter, son-in-law and grand-daughter were with us for the first week. They really wanted to go to the hammam, but we never got enough time in our schedule. I think I was hesitant to go alone. I'm not that comfortable about running about without my clothing. Since we have returned I am convinced I missed something wonderful so I am now determined to do it when we return.

10. Re: HAMMAMS- Turkish Baths

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 03, 2009