We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone Cards

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 87
Phone Cards

There's been a lot of discussion about using cell phones but not much about using phone cards to call from Turkey to the U.S.

A friend thinks he will need to make about a 5 minute call to his office to pick up his messages every day for three weeks. It seems to me that it should be simpler and cheaper to use a phone card.

-Do the phone cards work well?

-What's the approximate per minute cost? Is it different at different times of the day?

-Where do you buy the cards?

-Hotels sometimes charge you for making a call with a phone card from your room.

-Are public telephones easily found outside the hotel?

What else should I know that I probably don't??

suffolk
reviews: 1
1. Re: Phone Cards

Hi...I dont know if i will be much help but would it not be easier to go to an internet cafe or if hotel has internet to use that...

Could someone from his office email him his messages....

i'm sure this would be the cheapest option......

Regarding phone cards....they are easy to use and plenty of phone boxes.....but you didnt say where they were staying so cant comment on if there will be there.....

My son used phone cards to ring his girlfriend everyday....

Sorry i cannot remember how much they were....but they certainly didnt break the bank.....

Using his mobile [cell] phone did cost alot for txts...

Also he was only phoning england not the usa....so i guess it could be more money to phone there...

Im sure the email option would be best...

Hope this helps

Cairo - Egypt
2. Re: Phone Cards

Phone cards from Turk Telekom (and probably other providers as well) are readily available in many places such as post offices and some supermarkets. Card phones are everywhere, including most big hotels, streets, shopping malls, airports, etc.

You buy a 50-unit card for 5 YTL (New Turkish Lira) or a 100-unit for 9 YTL. Supposedly units are treated differently depending on where you're calling, and, as you expected, what time during the day. In most countries, 8pm to 8am is the low-cost time.

Cheers.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
3. Re: Phone Cards

We purchased our telephone card directly from our hotel, and then we used it in our hotel room. Our hotel (the Apricot) did not charge us to use the phone card and they did not charge us for local calls either. I would surely check before using a phone card in a hotel. Just like in the US, some hotels have outrageous service charges for using their phones. We paid about $15 US for a phone card, and we got 45 minutes of calling time back to the US. The card worked great. It was about 35 cents/minute.

My daughter had to stay in touch with her office. She took a quad phone, did not register it when she entered Turkey and had no difficulty using it for the eight days she was there. If she had stayed longer I do not know what would have happened. It seems as if they disconnect phones brought into the country that are not registered. It cost her company $2.00/minute.

I saw places selling phone cards all over in Sultanahmet and Taksim, and I also saw several banks of telephones on the streets. I do not think you would want to use those phone for business calls because they would be pretty noisy.

The best way we found for keeping in touch with our friends and family for the month we were in Turkey was using the internet. After lots of pros and cons we threw the laptop into a suitcase three minutes before we left home. It was really great to have along. We could email everyone at home. When our grand-daughter stayed at the hotel she could email her mother using our laptop and her Mom's quad phone. We could upload all of our photos from the day to the computer and even send a few of them home so others could share in our experiences. I had grave reservations about taking the laptop because it was expensive and brand new. It worked perfectly. Our hotel had wireless internet and we were up and running in 60 seconds. We had no special security issues with it until we got back to JFK, where security went over it for about ten minutes.

In the alternative, both hotels we used had a computer with internet access in the lobby. There are also internet cafes.

4. Re: Phone Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 pm, August 29, 2009