We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to Turkey

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 4
first time to Turkey

My husband and myself and our ten year old son will be travelling to Turkey for our summer vacation. We are from Toronto, Canada. We will spend 3 days in Istanbul the fly to Capadocia for 2 nights then on to Izmir for 1 night and then onto 5 days at a resort on a remote island off of Izmir for a bit of rest. My husband must leave during our time in Izmir to return to work. My son and I would like to stay on and visit Pamukkale and then to a seaside resort for 5-7 days before returning to Istanbul for the trip home. Is it absolutely safe for my son and I to travel by bus and stay at small inns and travel back to Istanbul on our own. Do you have any suggestion for the 5-7 days on our own, resort town and nice resort? I have heard about lovely boat voyages but don't know how flexible they are and I suffer from seasickeness. I am also having a hard time getting replies from hotels if they have availability by email and by phone, mostly greeted by "no speak english". No email response at all. I really want our son to experience different cultures and ways of life but don't want him left tired and upset over experiences that he cannot enjoy himself. 10 is such a hard time to know exactly what he can handle. Any help would be appreciated.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
reviews: 35
1. Re: first time to Turkey

Hi familylovestotravel,

From one Canadian a big hi and welcome to the forums !!! So nice to see more and more travelling to Turkey. Firstly you will not find any problems in getting around Turkey whether by bus or flights with you and your son. I would recommend that you could take a bus from either Izmir or Selcuk and go direct to Pamukkale which would be nice to a couple of nights. See the local sights. The Venus hotel gets good reviews. After Pamukkale then take another bus to Antalya this bus will be about 2.5 to 3 hours. From there you could choose to stay in the city or go a bit father down the coastline. ( I recommend ) You can also fly back to Istanbul from Antalya.

The entire coastline of Antalya ranging from the city of Antalya to Fethiye is a wonderful way to spend a vacation. Here are some great places to visit after Antalya - Phaselis, Olympos, or better yet Cirali, Myra, Kekova, Kas, Kalkan, Xanthos, Telmessos, Fethiye, Oludeniz, and Kayakoy.

I myself am also a bit biased however because I have the opportunity to spend a lot of my time in the village of Cirali as well as the city of Antalya. This is my opinion. My personal favorite beach is located in the authentic village of Cirali. Cirali is a very small village located about 1 hours drive from Antalya and boasts a beautiful secluded 4 km beach, the ruins of Olympos, the flames of the Chimeara, as well as a protected area by the WWF for the nesting of the Caretta sea turtles.

It is a wonderful place for families and the mature traveller and is one of the last remaining villages on the med. coast that has not been taken over by mass tourism. Unfortunately mass tourism has changed the faces of so many beautiful areas along the coast with the build up of so many resorts. Cirali only has a few quiet bars playing turkish folk music and restaurants on the beach and in the village center. No discos, or big hotels just nice liitle family run hotels and pansiyons.

For more info about this area do a google search for CIRALI or if you have more specific questions about this area I can help you.

My photos of different areas of Turkey

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/

You can also click on my profile and see more photos and different reviews.

Or another suggestion would be from Pamukkale to take a bus to Fethiye about 4 hours or more specifically the Kaya Koyu area stay at Villa Rhapsody for a couple of nights and then take the bus again to visit Cirali. If you read any of LemonLady's posts on these areas you will get tons of information. Just a few examples

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1071…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297962-i772-k8214…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k1114…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k1055…

As for the english problems you would be surprized as to how many hotels are owned and operated by foreigners so the english commuication would not be a problem with regards to making reservations.

have a super trip

CanMom

Pamukkale
reviews: 1
2. Re: first time to Turkey

If you can give an idea of the kind of hotels you would like to stay in (ie. budget, mid range or 4/5 star) and the places you want to go to, I'm sure everyone on the forum can give you ideas of ones that you'll have easy communication with. For example, I spoke to 2 Aussies the other day and they couldn't say enough good things about the Local Cave House in Goreme (Cappadocia) with is a nice mid range cave hotel and the manager has great English, or if you want more budget, the Köse pension (also Goreme) is run by a Scottish/Turkish family.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 4
3. Re: first time to Turkey

Thanks for the info. We are really open to 4/5 star hotels in the south. We have a reservation for Venus hotel in Pamakkale. Glad to know that it is great. Were I need some guidance is in the South. Have you been on the Blue Voyage? Is it just one company or do lots of people do this? I would be interested in this as it looks really relaxing. I like the idea of flying from Antalya back to Istanbul as not really interested in long bus rides. We would also like to just stay in one or two places in the south and will check out some of the recommendations. Not looking for much nightlife as it will be just me and the 10 year old. Family run, clean safe place would be my first choice.

4. Re: first time to Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 29, 2009