We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 4
disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Hi Iam travelling with my elder;y father who needs to travel in a wheelchair. he can walk afew steps but generally a wheelchair will be easier. can anyone tell me if the blue mosque is possible for a wheelchair user and is ephesus possible. He can walk a few steps with sticks but it will be slow going any help on these two places would ne great

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
11. Re: disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Dear hyacinth1: I am ammending my recommendation regarding Topkapi. I discussed this with my husband this morning, and he pointed out that it was not necessary to go up and down stairs to see the majority of the palace. Certainly the jewels are easily reached via wheelchair. I think we went in and out of the restaurant several times trying to get warm so it seemed like there were more stairs than you actually need. The only serious barrier you will face is the actual entrance because of the construction; however, if you are patient and selective I see no reason why you cannot get into this attraction.

While Ephesus might prove too difficult for your father, you could certainly do Mary's house. I do not know if the Virgin Mary actually lived in or died in this house, but it is one of the most peacful places I have ever been. There are elevations but the terrain is smooth. I think you could manage a wheelchair there with little difficulty. Also, it was not nearly as crowded as Ephesus on the day we were there.

I did not do any climbing in Ephesus, electing to sit and wait while the family climbed the theatre and went down to the base of the library. I was quite contect to just be in the general area of the ruins. I think you could get your father into a location where he could have a good view of the ruins, even if he cannot go all the way through Ephesus.

While in the Ephesus area we also traveled to Sirince. This is a little village built in the Greek style up in the hills. I was able to navigate the lower market area, but I remained there while the rest of the family climbed a steep cobblestone hill to St. John's Church. It was OK. They took pictures while I passed a pleasant period with a couple of local shop keepers.

I was anxious to come to Turkey before I am totally wheelchair bound, but I do not believe I would hesitate to return even if I needed a wheelchair full-time. People will help you, and I know you will be fine.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
reviews: 35
12. Re: disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Dear BR,

Your posts are an inspiration to us all. I have enjoyed each one every day and your up to date posting has been wonderful. Like LL says your post are so valuable to these forums. I can't wait to read and look at your reviews or photos once you are back. Had another thought the other day. How was the fresh fruit ??

CanMom

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
13. Re: disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Hi Guys: I am very glad that BR mentioned the House of the Virgin Mary. This small stone house located in Selcuk has become a place of pilgrimage. It is located in a beautiful park and is definitely wheelchair accessible. It is as BR has said a peaceful and beautiful place. Whether you believe the tradition or not it is a good place to visit. Here's a helpful link: www.kusadasi.biz/virgin-mary/

http://www.kusadasi.biz/virgin-mary/

An interesting thing happened last year when wildfires were burning in that area, everything around the site was burned up but the fires stopped at the perimeter of the Virgin Mary Park.

I noticed many different kinds of travelers here, Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, all having a very pleasant experience here.

Pope Benedict XVI visited here when he came to Turkey.

Also don't miss Isa Bey Mosque in Selcuk too. It is an architectural jewel, Here's a link telling about it: archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.tcl…

archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.tcl…

And BR we are waiting for updates on towels and pashmina. LL

london
14. Re: disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Thankyou so much for all this great info. It will definitely help me choosing the best places to go. I have a possible tour of Ismir itself. Is this a fairly wheelchair accessible city? We will be coached round mostly and we will visit the Agora and the Museums. What do you think?

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
15. Re: disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Hi Guys: Izmir sights are accessible by wheelchair. I think you will like this city a lot. Great silk carpets, nice bazaar and the promenade has fab restauants. I am rather attached to Izmir since my Great Grandma came from here and wish people would include it in their Turkey itinerary. Have fun, LemonLady

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
16. Re: disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Hello again. We spent no time in Izmir except arriving and departing at the airport. Sadly our schedule did not permit any time in the city. I do believe that Lemon Lady is totally on top of all things in Izmir and has given you great advice.

I saw something this morning that I wanted to tell you about. There was an elderly gentleman leaving the tram as we were getting ready to board. He was by himself in a wheel chair. Passangers literally stumbled over one another in their attempt to make sure that he got off of the tram successfully. The tram worker ushered him down and out of the tram area, and he wheeled off the ramp and took off for the Blue Mosque......all by himself, but depending on the kindness of strangers. In Turkey you can always depend upon the kindness of strangers, and I am fairly sure that Tennessee Williams was not influenced by Turkey when he first wrote those lines.

london
17. Re: disabled travel in Istanbul & izmir

Bravo bravo for all your help. I feel blessed and confident that our trip will be good. Thanks for all you marvellous info. I look forward in great anticipation to our trip. thanks to you all