We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing dress clothing

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
Packing dress clothing

Finally we are down to the process of packing and we are wondering if we need to take dressy clothing. We might want to have dinner at Sirnac or Sunday brunch at the Four Seasons. How dressed up would we have to be in order to get in to these places?

We are packing sturdy tourist clothing.....levis, T-Shirts and sweaters, and trying to limit the amount of clothing we take.

I will appreciate any opinions.

Italy/Alaska
reviews: 32
1. Re: Packing dress clothing

When I was staying at the Four Seasons, most people I saw were dressed in resort dress wear - meaning the men had jackets, linen shirts - didn't see many ties at all...women were also in resort dress - slacks, jackets ...nothing really outrageous.

Generally, when I had a partner - (there is some baggage better left at home) - he would pack a black cashmere jacket for winter-black linen for summer and I would pack a simple black dress - kept the possibility open for a dressier place but didn't take up much room. This type of dress would be perfect for the Four Seasons dinner.

And...at brunch....well slacks and shirt would certainly be accepted so you could even forgo the jacket.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Packing dress clothing

Hi Guys: people don't really dress up to the hilt in Istanbul I notice. As Alaska/Italy says, take the "little black dress" or a dressy skirt and top. I usually travel with a silk skirt and top and use that for a higher end restaurant. When I went to Kordon Balik restaurant where celebs are reputed to go (I didn't notice any), I wore a simple black silk dress and my ever present pashmina. For the brunch I would suggest dress slacks or the dressy skirt and top, I usually wear a white silk pantsuit to brunch in a elegant place like the Ciragan. I did see some people dressed up there. For men the pookie bear husband has gotten away with his leather blazer and good trousers in a lot of places, he also takes along a flannel jacket and pants.

Since we are constantly on the move I am an expert packer these days freed from taking every rag I own. Less is more has become my packing motto. Good shoes are a must, sneakers too, too cold for sandals when you go. Socks for the plane. I usually wear a hat when I go out wherever I am, my USA baseball cap is always with me and you might like to take one along in case it gets cold or rains. Umbrella too, waterproof shoes are a good idea since when it rains in Istanbul it really rains.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I am sure other posters will have more suggestions. I'll bet you're excited I excited for you, LemonLady

Toilet articles like shampoo and soap are very fine in Turkey and I use them but if you are fond of a certain brand then take them in packed luggage by all means. I can buy Turkish soap in NY now and use it daily. The face creams in Turkey are also very good and I use them also.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
3. Re: Packing dress clothing

Thanks so much. I knew you two would have the answers to my questions (actually the questions of my daughter, who says to me several times a day "Mom, would you ask the forum....") Those suggestions fit right in with what I had planned to take. I also try to limit my wardrobe. I am taking one large suitcase with very little in it because I hope to bring back some linens.

I do keep picking up little items I think I might need. I hope I haven't over-planned my suitcase.

Yes LL - We are extremely excited. Both daughter and son-in-law are extremely busy with their careers so we are trying to do all the little errands for them.

We had a passport crisis with grand-daughter, but after trying every other avenue we contacted our US Senator and the passport is in the mail and will be delivered tomorrow.

People who are planning on traveling outside of the US should be aware that the passport offices are extremely over-loaded due to new regulations requiring US citizens to carry passports to Canada, Mexico and the Carribean. Even when you pay for expedited processing there is no guarantee that they will actually process your passport. I would apply as early as possible, pay for expedited processing and then watch the web site to make sure it is processed in a timely fashion.

Alaskaitaly: Is there anything special I need to know about the Apricot Hotel before I leave? I am assuming that since you spent a month there that you were satisfied with them.

Thanks for the help. I know I will have even more questions before we leave.

Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 5
4. Re: Packing dress clothing

I want to take the wife out to somewhere a little bit nicer than where we will be spendng most of our dining time. I don't have anything approaching fancy clothes (like the the books says, "Fashion in Alaska means your fur hat is dead!") and was wondering if it would be cost effective to find something in Istanbul in the beginning of the trip to have for fancier places for the rest of the trip. I'm sure there are good places to get nice suits, near the Grand Baazar maybe? Any thoughs?

London, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Packing dress clothing

40belowzero

I would recommend you to buy your suit from a shopping mall such as Metrocity or Akmerkez. There are very good Turkish menswear brands that are resonably priced and very smart such as Sarar, Damat, Fabrika, Network, to name a few. They all have shops in these malls plus more shops so you would have decent choice of quality and price. Metrocity especially is very easy to get to, you take the metro line from Taksim and you get off at 1. Levent stop, this stop has direct access to the mall. Next to Metrocity is Kanyon mall but is more pricy with high end international designer labels but still worth visiting for the architecture and good restaurants such as Konyali.

Busy-retired: I think the advise from other posters is spot on, you don't need to be overdressed for any of these places, a smart casual look is enough, a little black dress is always a good idea for dinner.

Have a great time in Istanbul.

Italy/Alaska
reviews: 32
6. Re: Packing dress clothing

40BelowZero...Hello from a fellow Alaskan! Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about clothes - dressy or not - all over Istanbul and certainly other parts of Turkey - did not require dressy clothes. Even when staying at the Four Seasons, I was wearing leggings and cotton-linen baggy blouses with sandles. (I had not planned on staying at the Four Seasons...so had packed only for casual)

No one treated me any different. AND, a practical tip...

I would not want to take something dressey or expensive with me if I were staying there a long time - because I found the laundry services - well - deplorable!

And LL tip of the pashmina shawl - which you can buy in Istanbul much cheaper than I even bought them in India - is great. I put a brightly colored one around my shoulders -so my leggings and baggy linen tops were dressed up and quite fashionable.

I would suggest strongly you leave the mukluks at home!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
7. Re: Packing dress clothing

Hi Guys: what great packing advice on this thread. One time in Istanbul I had to buy another suitcase to take home all the stuff I bought, after that I limited my clothing choices so as to leave room for new purchases as busyretired is going to do.

I want to say something in praise of the pashmina. I've been using mine for years, wrapping up in chilly restaurants, on the ferry, on the plane, covering my head in Mosques, I wouldn't be without it. It is really a necessary travel accessory.

Near the Spice Bazaar is a street where there are lots of pashminas for sale. All colors, all kinds, some with emroidery and even sequinned ones. I have several and certainly wouldn't be without one even in NYC.

About passports, I think it is important to check your passport a decent interval before you go and make sure it won't expire while you are in Istanbul. This has been asked on the forum before, so take a look before traveling.

Happy Day, LemonLady

NY, NY/Istanbul...
8. Re: Packing dress clothing

Hi: the pookie bear husband likes Fabrika, he has bought things there that he is very satisfied with (and it is worth noting that he is Mr. Picky) so go and have a look. I think we sometimes ignore men when talking about shopping in Istanbul so iwas glad to see this question come up. Happy Day, LemonLady

9. Re: Packing dress clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 24, 2009